Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to fix a cracked block?

The73vetteman

Corvette
'73 L48 4spd
More in my starter saga:

I noticed that there are two vertical cracks running axially for the length of the outer bolt hole in the block. Clearly this is not good.:cry

Any suggestions as to the best way to fix them?

'73

are you talking about the starter mount being cranked?? it is common to have the starter lobe crack if you don't use the front support for stock starters. i have heard of guys that cut the lobe off and weld another one on from a different block. welding on a block is always a risky thing, cast iron can be a pain to work with. i would try to weld the cranks first before cutting the lobe off. use of a ministarter will reduce stress and help keep it from cracking again. you will need to preheat the block before welding on cast iron, and cool it very slowly. bummer on the cracked block, sorry. Brian

Yes it is that lobe that I mean. I guess I'm paying the price of someone not refitting the front mount.

I'm not a welder myself so I'll have to look around for someone who can.

Any idea if it's possible to weld up the cracks with the engine still in the car?

'73

Can be done in the car with adequate clearance. I've done several Old's diesels that when hit in the front broke a piece out of the block that could almost be taken from one engine to the next one that was broke. All of that aside quiz the fellow that you get to do the repair, none I'm sure will "guarantee" it but a person that is comfortable with cast block repairs will let you know it. Confidence is a trait your looking for here as well as experience!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom