Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to re condition factory wheels?

DaDurrance

Corvette
1995 Polo Green Coup
The wheels on my resently aquired 95 coupe were not taken very good care of by previous owners. They are the factory wheels and I understand they had a clear coat on them, which is mostly gone. Short of purchasing a new set of rims are there any products on the market that are made to recondition these type of wheels? Or are there any alternatives for keeping them? Thanx for any advise.

I'm not into DIY wheel refinishing so I've used a place called "Wheel Connection" here in the OKC Metro. They fix chips, bent wheels, polish or paint and even chrome. There is probably a wheel repair shop in your area that can do the same. Check with a paint and body shop or a tire shop in the area and find out who they use to fix wheels with minor damage.

I just had one of my polished rims redone and it wasn't cheap costing just over $200. In their defense it was a complete recondition including trueing, fixing curb rash and clear coating. It was still cheaper than replacing the rim.

How bad are your wheels?

1994CompetitionYellowZR-1Vette-1.jpg~original

Not bad but it was a flat charge to recondition it which involved trueing it, repairing a small section of curb rash and prepping and clear coating it. Looks like new.

C4 clear coat wheel resoration

respray wheel.jpgThanks for the input. I have a 92 with stock clear coat wheels. The previous owner overdid the auto carwashes and the acid cleaner combined with the abrasive brushes lifted the clearcoat in a circular pattern fanning outward. Several mobile repair units in my area, (one was www.rimguardextreme.com) agreed full strip, repolish and recoat was necessary @$150 ea. and 8 days at the main shop, not the mobiles, ugh.
At this point they are not that bad, and the rears are the worst. My local body shop said I could improve them with sanding. At least they won't corrode or peel further. This was what I did. I masked the wheel openings and center (where lug nuts are) then sanded the clear coat off in the center with 600 grit. Down to 400 is OK too, just follow the circular machine marks. Use 800 grit WET next, using hose or rewetting sand paper constantly. Now use 1200 grit WET again, to smooth, rinse and allow to dry completely. Wipe entire area to be sprayed with rubbing alcohol to remove all traces of dust.
Apply at least 2 light coats of clear, following spray can instructions. Don't apply too much at once to avoid unsightly drips. I removed some tape and polished the center caps, covered the lug nuts, and resprayed the entire wheel. Remove the tape and enjoy the improved appearance and protection. Just take it slow and this may buy some time. I was even able to sand away mild curb rash. I hope this helps someone in a similar predicament.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom