Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to remove rear tail lamp facia on an 84

yitbos

Corvette
84 Coupe
I sure hope someone here can help me with this question. I need to remove the rear facia from my 84 as it needs to be painted due to some clear coat and paint problems. It's the only spot on the entire Corvette that needs paint work.

But I'm having one heck of a time getting it off. I'm following the shop manual and a service book that I have and they both show the same picture and give the same description. One step states to remove the three screws on each side connecting to the gas cover and that the fourth screw can be removed from underneath. I don't see antying like this at all.

I've removed the two screws behind the license plate and back up lamps. I've removed some screws on the facia from the energy pad as well. It says to pull back on the lower facia to expose the upper facia screws. I can see the screws from underneath but I can't get the facia to pull away from the lower part.

Anyone have any suggestoins on what to do? This is extremely frustrating but I'm sure someone out there knows the next step that will make this go smoothly.

Thanks for the help.
John

You are better off painting the bumper on the car. If you are intent on taking the bumper off...remove the tail light lens on all four...start with the two inners from under the car...then you can reach in to get at the outer...if you want I can call you if you want to PM your number to me..I see you are still on line...I'll check my mail every few minutes

Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I can't leave it on for the guy to paint it. He can't get the car into the shop they work in. He has a side draft paint booth he uses and he needs it off so it can be sanded and painted in there.

I was finally able to get both sides freed up and I'm down to 4 screws above the tail lights that hold the bumper to the fiberglass. They are 7mm screws and there is not enough room with the gas tank up there to use my small socket. So I need to get a wrench to finish up. I'll do that in the morning. One of them, is just turning at the moment (no surprise there). Nothing is ever easy. Once those four are our, the thing should fall right off, so-to-speak. Then I can drop it off on Sunday at his house and hopefully have it back by Friday to reinstall over the next weekend.

I'll be glad once this is done. What a nightmare.

I'll still take any advice on finishing up the removal and the installation. That is still going to be a challenge.

John

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom