Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to wire stock guages on 82 corvette? Without the pigtail direct wiring info neede

Vette Fanatic

Ok here is the deal, First off it is good to see so many people in a car forum talking about CARS.
Now to the heart of my problem. I have a 1982 vette with a new motor. Dont hate me just yet...
The motor is a LS 6.0 motor with late model 3l60tranny. The 6.0 is converted to carb and I'm using a great aftermarket harness for the motor.

Problem Im having is I want the interior to look stock. I want to use the factory guages with this motor. I want to use the pigtail for the guages also(engine temp, Fuel guage, oil temp, oil press, alt.) I just want to use the wires on that pigtail for minimal use of the stock harness. I can run a relay for the Fuel pump later in the wiring.

I have a 82 wire diagram but (forgive me), i don't want to screw this up on the first plug in or start.
I mentioned the guages already, I will not have a use for the seatbelt lights, alt light, chk engine light or low fuel light. . I just need to know how to wire each of those guages direct to the motor.
Listed below is a list of the color and code of the wires. Could someone tell me what wires go where and what wires are not needed?
BLK 150 (guessing GRN)
GRY 8
ORG 140
TAN 31
BRN 25
PNK 30
pnk-blk 39
DRK GRN 35
YEL 237
BRN-WHT 419

Any help would be appreciated and I would not do all this to a solid car...trust me this car was headed to a graveyard had I not stepped in and done a heart transplant.

Thanks,

What you're going to need to do is figure out what wire does what from the aftrermarket harness, then go the original wiring and find the wires from the temp gauge, oil pressure, tach, ammeter (or battery), and splice them accordingly. I can tell you the GM custom in the C3 era was to use gray wires for dash lights, black for ground- but that may have changed by 82, it's been a long time since I worked at a Chevy dealer!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom