Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How would you fix this?

How would you repair this? I have the broken off piece. Thanks

Did you buy it new? It shouldn't have broken in shipping.

If you did buy it new, I'd repair it with a return!

Did you buy it new? It shouldn't have broken in shipping.

If you did buy it new, I'd repair it with a return!

Tried that. Vendor told me I'd have to wait another 20 weeks for the replacement. So, you guessed it....it can be repaired in less time.

I think that I would try to align it with a couple of temerary straps on the back side. You could use 1/4" plywood pieces for this.

Clean up the break but be careful not to shorten the piece any or it won't match up to the door. Cut 2 strips of wood long enough to overlap both pieces by a few inches. Clamp them to the back side of the panel aligning the broken off piece to perfectly match the position of the other side. It might help to make a poster board template off of the other side. Then you can just flip it over and use it to exactly align the broken piece when you clamp it. Be sure you also have the upward contour correct. Use a little resin and glue and clamp the strips to the back side one at a time so as not to loose the alignment. Let it cure and remove the clamps.

Now you need to grind out a beveled wide groove in the break area on the front side. Cut strips of mat in increasing widths and saturate them in resin and lay them into the break starting with the narrowest one first and working out to the widest one that will overlap both halves by a couple inches. Use a roller or your finger and keep the excess resin pushed out of the repair. Allow it to cure thoroughly.

Then pry off the wood strips from the back side and repeat the same repair process as on the front. Once it cures and you have ground and sanded off the access buildup it should be as good as new.

Acetone works great for washing the resin off of your hands and tools. Just don't let it harden first.

Tom

fiberglass repair is fairly easy and any reputable body shop or boat repair facility can fix your piece. Good luck.

I think that I would try to align it with a couple of temerary straps on the back side. You could use 1/4" plywood pieces for this.

Clean up the break but be careful not to shorten the piece any or it won't match up to the door. Cut 2 strips of wood long enough to overlap both pieces by a few inches. Clamp them to the back side of the panel aligning the broken off piece to perfectly match the position of the other side. It might help to make a poster board template off of the other side. Then you can just flip it over and use it to exactly align the broken piece when you clamp it. Be sure you also have the upward contour correct. Use a little resin and glue and clamp the strips to the back side one at a time so as not to loose the alignment. Let it cure and remove the clamps.

Now you need to grind out a beveled wide groove in the break area on the front side. Cut strips of mat in increasing widths and saturate them in resin and lay them into the break starting with the narrowest one first and working out to the widest one that will overlap both halves by a couple inches. Use a roller or your finger and keep the excess resin pushed out of the repair. Allow it to cure thoroughly.

Then pry off the wood strips from the back side and repeat the same repair process as on the front. Once it cures and you have ground and sanded off the access buildup it should be as good as new.

Acetone works great for washing the resin off of your hands and tools. Just don't let it harden first.

Tom

Thanks for responding. Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom