Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HUD BRIGHTNESS

Corvette
2004 Silver Coupe
I really love the HUD in my car, but there is a small problem I'd like to address. In bright sunlight, when the sun is either to the side or the rear, the HUD is a little difficult to see because it isn't bright enough. I do have the manual control all the way up on full. However, when driving directly into the sunlight, the HUD brightens automatically. My question, is there a way to increase the brightness overall some other way? Obviously, the display has additional brighness available, but how to adjust it is the question. Is there a way to adjust the brightness sensor, or to just adjust the overalll brightness so that it can be reduced manually as necessary?

Silverstreak04

Hi, Silverstreak,
My old '03 ZO6 had a heads up display, and I found that when the sun was at an angle to me where it was approximately above and slightly behind my left shoulder as I drove, I would get this "blue-ing out" effect where the HUD became unreadable until I turned a corner and changed direction.

It's got something to do with the angle the projecting unit is at relative to the windshield, and how you can have the sun at that one angle that washes the HUD digital display out completely every once in a while. Unfortunately, there is no TSB fix that can be made, this is just one of these curious design oddities. Is this the effect you're describing?

-Patrick

I get this too; but 99% of the time it is alright and plenty bright. I would say as well this is just the way that it is due to the angle on the windshield, the area where the HUD projects is a special glass too you know. Different windshield for HUD equipped vehicles for the projector and the sun is a powerful thingy. . . . . . if you know what I mean!

Bill

Like Patrick and Hoosierdaddy I have the same problem with my HUD. Depending on the sun's angle I'll see something like a "circuit board" effect on the windshield. This usually happens just before or just after 12 noon when the sun is high. I've remedied this situation by driving either really early in the day or in the evening. :boogie :boogie

I had this problem with every top-line Pontiac Bonneville I've owned since '92; way before being introduced into the Vette. Probably very similar units. May have to live with the beast. No fix as far as all my dealing with the Pontiac division. Hope you have better luck with its sister division.

Like Patrick and Hoosierdaddy I have the same problem with my HUD. Depending on the sun's angle I'll see something like a "circuit board" effect on the windshield. This usually happens just before or just after 12 noon when the sun is high. I've remedied this situation by driving either really early in the day or in the evening. :boogie :boogie

If mine gets that bad I will use the speedometer; sometimes with HUD I forget I have one :L I have had mine flushed out some by the bright ;squint: sun but not a big deal and I don't think I've ever seen anything like ;shrug a circuit board effect but keep in mind I don't drive mine that much as I have a company car and a car lot around here seems like, so it gets driven less than any of them.

Bill :w

Best time to drive a HUD equipted car is at night where the HUD is realy :cool

I agree with Patrick, so I just turn my HUD down to minimum brightness during the day and use the dash speedo. Occassionly I see the display, even when the display is at minimum brightness, when the sun angle is just right. At night, I increase the HUD brightness. No big problem.
Barrett

I agree with Patrick, so I just turn my HUD down to minimum brightness during the day and use the dash speedo. Occassionly I see the display, even when the display is at minimum brightness, when the sun angle is just right. At night, I increase the HUD brightness. No big problem.
Barrett

I do opposite lol :L brighter during the daylight hours and dimmer at night so it dose not take away from the road ...but is there to see.:w

Mine has just started having this issue. It used to be plenty bright in direct sunlight and the brightness was not all the way up. Now I can hardly see it with the brightness turned all the way up.

Does anyone know what lights up the HUD?

I do opposite lol :L brighter during the daylight hours and dimmer at night so it dose not take away from the road ...but is there to see.:w

Me too; at night I will dim it down some. . . . . . . . . Love the HUD!!!

Ok, I figured out what was wrong with my HUD. First off no laughing, giggling or snickering.

The long story: Family and I went on vacation to FL and I broke my sun glasses. No problem, went shopping for new :cool sun glasses. Week later arrived home with a weeks worth of rain. (very welcome rain around here) Anyway finally got to drive the vet to work on a cloudy day no problem. On the way home it was sunny so I put on my new sun glasses, WOW the hud is really dim? Next day HUD still dim! WTH? :hb So today I'm pulling out of the garage at work and I have to adjust my new shades and WOW the HUD is extremely bright! Put shades back on very dim. Then I thought these new sun glasses are polarized. So I tried another pair I have not polarized and HUD was bright again.

The short story: Polarized sun glasses will make your HUD very dim.

If you are not sure if your sun glasses are polarized just look at most car windows and if they have a weird waffle patter on them they are polarized.

Ok, I figured out what was wrong with my HUD. First off no laughing, giggling or snickering.

:L

Why is it anytime I hear this from someone I know I'm about to get a good laugh?:L

This time was no different.;LOL

Think I'm done now....

:rotfl

Nope, now I'm done...maybe... :boogie

And all along I thought your wife was the blonde one! :cool

First, I ALWAYS use the HUD. With the steering wheel where it's most comfortable, I cn't see the top of the speedo, and that's when I need to see it most, in excess of the 55 MPH limit. Infrequently, if the sun is just right and I'm going in the right direction, that causes the display to wash out and all I can see is the entire display, all the led's. But that has happened maybe twice this year. I think I've seen the light brightness sensor at those times, it's orange whereas the rest of the HUD display is blue. Oh, and I used to have polaroized lenses in my sunglasses, but I had read somewhere that polarizing would wash out the HUD, so I got new sunglasses just after I installed the HUD. Since the HUD will automatically get brighter when aimed directly at the sun, I'd sure like to figure out how to manually brighten the display to compensate when the automatic brightness doesn't respond.

Silverstreak04;help

:L

Why is it anytime I hear this from someone I know I'm about to get a good laugh?:L

This time was no different.;LOL

Think I'm done now....

:rotfl

Nope, now I'm done...maybe... :boogie

And all along I thought your wife was the blonde one! :cool

Charlie, I can see how you got your name Rascal!:chuckle

Hold on a second. I'm sitting in my car with my Polarized sunglasses on and I can't even see the HUD. Everything is so dark. I can't even see the dash. Wait!!! I know, I'm sitting in the car inside the garage with the garage door down and the car isn't even started yet. :bash ;shrug :boogie

Note to self: Dont post silly mistakes on the CAC. :ugh

:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom