Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hud installed in '01 Z06 Very cool! next up is..

JBsC5

Dropped a HUD unit into my 2001 Z06 last night.

A very cool mod for those who don't have the HUD and want it.

I never really wanted it but I had one become available locally so I had it installed.

Took about an hour and a half..maybe two hours and now I have the hud..

At first I was like..well..600 dollars for a new toy..but I find its really very useful in allowing me to learn to be a better driver and downshifting and matching revs is even easier.

Glad I had this done.

Next up...I just bought 3:73 getrag Mallet rear gears for my Z.

When the 2004 Z06 shocks finally become available I will have this 3:73 gearing and the shocks installed at the same time..

I look foward to the shocks becoming available so I can have both mods installed!

Anybody have 3:73' gears in their Z06?

I assume the 3;73's in a Z06 would be like 3;90's in a standard C5?

Anybody have them in their C5?

I do know the 4;10's are awesome in a C5 but a bit much for a Z ..

Just shooting the breeze...

Looking foward to any insight you guys can give..

BTW..the CTS V series has a 3.73 gearing and has the capability of 171 mph top end..Not that I'm doing it but what the hell.. Gave me a good laugh as I read the article and said to myself..

What the hell.

how did you manage to install a HUD after the car was put together??? and it only taking a few hours!!

and isn't the Z fast enough...not sure why you need to spend the dough to change the gears. I would add performance upgrades first.

but sounds good none the less

The hud install was only around an hour and a half to two hours. Start to finish.

As far as the car being fast enough as it is..??

The 3.73's in a zo6 with its M12 is similiar to a C5 M6 with 3.90's. Lots of guys rave about the change to 3.90's. In fact what I found interesting was that the new V series CTS has a Z06 motor and transmision and gave the CTS V spec ..the 3.73 rear gear right from the factory..

All that and a buddy of mine in Jersey had swapped up to 4.10's in his heads and cam with M6 tranny and loved it.

He had the 3.73's in his basement for around 6 months..just in case he wanted to go back to 4.10's Since he raved about the 4.10's ..and had his 3.73's downstairs in a box..

It seemed to make sense to do while the 2004 z06 shocks go on. '

Save a few dollars because the two jobs are somewhat related in labor overlap.

Should have it done next week and I anticipate it to be very well balanced. .

(BTW..the 3.42's that are in excellent shape are for sale. 425 dollars)

ok so you put the HUD in but HOW???

and sorry I would be about 450(i'm in debt) dollars short for buying your rear...

Heres a post that helps with understanding installation from Godspeed

HUD Installation on my 1999 Hardtop

Drivers side:

Remove the center console cover (radio, A/C controls) as per the shifter install instructions. Remove the hex screws ( I think I used a 6mm) holding the dash on; one of the upper left; one on the upper right; one on the lower right.

Use a flat head to pop of the Trunk Release plate. Disconnect the switch and remove the screw inside with a phillips.

Remove the two hex heads on the lower dash piece and then remove the entire piece.

Remove the two upside down vertical torq screws from the guage cluster to the dash.

Pop the grill off the top of the dash. Remove the two hex screws - one on each end.

Remove the a-pillar. It's a snap-in design and requires a up and over type pull. Remove the hex head screw in the dash that was below it.

Remove the small plastic cover on the vertical left side of the dash - use a flat head to gently pry open the plastic fitting on top. Remove the hex head on the left vertical side of the dash.

Remove the two hex heads on the lower dash piece and then remove the entire piece.

Passenger side:

Remove the a-pillar. It's a snap-in and requires a up and over type pull. Remove the hex screw on the dash under the a-pillar.

Remove the small plastic cover on the vertical right side of the dash - use a flat head to gently pry open the plastic fitting on top. Remove the hex head on the right vertical side of the dash.

Open the glove box and remove the four hex heads that are on the upper lip, going vertically straight up into the dash.

Back to drivers side

Put the steering wheel all the way down and gently start pulling out and up on the dash. When you have a little clearance, disconnect the Hazard lights harness (pressure release on driver side disconnecting it from the green recepter portion.) Remove the entire dash.

Remove the two hex heads below and further back into the guage cluster mounting it to the dash frame. Pull out the guage cluster a little and remove the wiring harness, pressure release on the outside.

Mount the HUD projector in position - the non-HUD cars have the same structure and the projector will only orient in one way, but lack the front two mounting posts. I used two small course wood screws through the front two mounting locations and used a simple bolt and nut combo on the bottom front post mount of the proector. Place the wiring harness up and out of the way.

Install the new HUD guage cluster; plug in the wiring harness first, orient and reinstall two hex head mounts on bottom. Attach HUD projector wiring harness (small connector on top center of the guage cluster.)

Reinstall the new dash with a HUD bezel.

Reverse the dash removal procedure above and bolt everything back up.

Entire process took me < 2hours and it was my first time to do it and had no manuals to reference.

well you are a VERY fast worker then. it would have taken me over 4 hours just because I wouldn't want to screw anything up.

nice job!

corvettecrazy said:
well you are a VERY fast worker then. it would have taken me over 4 hours just because I wouldn't want to screw anything up.

nice job!
I did say it was $600 installed in the first post... Didn't I?

If I've miscommunicated this to you beaware. I had a local corvette owner who has a roll bar in his car..a tv in his car..and had not been using the HUD for around 3 months..

He's a friend for a few years now and from time to time we hook up to have dinner or go driving..or hang out at a car show..etc..

He wanted to get rid of his HUD..I thought at the spur of the moment..What the hell and he could have my dash panel..I'll take his..

So there was no cutting involved.

My seven year old (autistic) son was with me while this friend of mine who had never done this mod before tore into it.

I basically watched.. and shot the sh!t with both rob and my son.

Its really just about 30 bolts and pulling and tugging a few panels .

Personally I would recommend having a professional Corvette technician.. if it would make you feel more comfortable.

Had Rob not needed my dash console..pretty quickly..I'd most probably have hired a Corvette technician.

It worked out great but for two hours labor..the smartest thing is to use experienced techs..(only to avoid a mishap)

Still it was fun and everything worked out great.

Rob is a friend and he did me a favor as now I have this Hud to enjoy .

PS> I was never a HUD junkie...didn't really even think it was a must have...

Now that I have it. I really like it. Very cool.

JB

Interesting that you paid $600. I assume that was for the complete unit. I purchased a brand new one from the factory for $300. I am also amazed that it took you 1.5 hours to do the job. I had mine installed by a factory trained chevy tech and it took him more like 5 hours because he had to pull the entire dash out. How did you do it so fast?

Silverstreak04

Interesting that you paid $600. I assume that was for the complete unit. I purchased a brand new one from the factory for $300. ..............
Silverstreak04

So did I last year, however, look how old this post is - 2003. ;LOL:beer

:w
Guy

Hhe HUD installation is quite easy to do. I have installed 3 of them for myself and friends. The price on the parts dropped quite a bit earlier in the year so it is a fairly cheap mod to do as well.

It work perfectly with the standard windshield as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom