Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HUMMER Sale to Tengzhong Cannot be Completed

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster

DETROIT – General Motors today announced that Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines Co., Ltd. (Tengzhong) was unable to complete the acquisition of HUMMER. As a result, GM will begin the orderly wind-down of the HUMMER operations.

“One year ago, General Motors announced that we were going to divest HUMMER, as part of focusing our efforts on Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac going forward. We have since considered a number of possibilities for HUMMER along the way, and we are disappointed that the deal with Tengzhong could not be completed," said John Smith GM vice president of corporate planning and alliances. "GM will now work closely with HUMMER employees, dealers and suppliers to wind down the business in an orderly and responsible manner."

GM will continue to honor HUMMER warranties, while providing service support and spare parts to current HUMMER owners around the world.

GM Media - United States News

Feel bad for all the GM workers making the H3's. But VERY happy the Chinese didn't get the technology. My .02. :thumb

With all the Hummers in the milatary who is going to build them and the parts for them. I don't see how this division can just shut down. I am glad the Chinese did not get it also.

With all the Hummers in the milatary who is going to build them and the parts for them. I don't see how this division can just shut down. I am glad the Chinese did not get it also.
If I'm not mistaken the military hummer was not the same facility .

I'm not also glad the deal fell though .Maybe the Koreans will buy it ;shrug

I'm purdy sure that the military Hummer has about as much in common with
the GM Hummer as a NASCAR race car has with a same named car from
a dealer. ;LOL
Andy :w

Your exactly correct. They are different facilities, but spaced about 100 yards from themselves. I live about 5 minutes from both. They are located in Mishawaka IN. Everyone was very excited about the H2 being built here. Not sure where the H3 was built.

However, I recently heard that the military was decreasing orders for the Humvee. If that happens this area will undoubtedly receive a knockout punch. First the RV industry (Elkhart IN) then two major manufacturing facilities.

My company does about a million a year or so for Hummer.

Your exactly correct. They are different facilities, but spaced about 100 yards from themselves. I live about 5 minutes from both. They are located in Mishawaka IN. Everyone was very excited about the H2 being built here. Not sure where the H3 was built.

However, I recently heard that the military was decreasing orders for the Humvee. If that happens this area will undoubtedly receive a knockout punch. First the RV industry (Elkhart IN) then two major manufacturing facilities.

My company does about a million a year or so for Hummer.

The H3 was built in LA with the Canyon, etc.

The Humvee is on its' way out. It is no longer an Army standard issue item, which means future order won't be automatic or coming in big numbers. Spare parts can be made anywhere, but who knows??????????? :ugh

I should really follow these developments more. I believe that a place here in Elkhart will be building the next generation. It's too bad that the current facility could produce these new units.

This has been such a Horrible Year for GM, It makes you wonder how much more can go wrong. But the compay is better off tossing off the dead wood. And I really don't think the Chinese would want the technology. They never get involved in something that they don't make money on. And lets face it, The Hummer was a bad idea from the get-go. Vehicles that get the same gas milage as a 747 don't sell too well in this recession. ;shrug

There are two hummers....one is street (which had the three models H1, H2.H3-1 d/c'd before 3 arrived) and the military version. The military version is diesel very similiar to the H1. It had a auto three speed if I remember correctly. I drove those back when I was in the service. They came onto the seen in middle eighties from AM General. GM bought the business and brought us the street version. The H1 was a civilian version of militaries model. Thats why it was so expensive. It's one of the mistakes GM made along the way. They used ALLOT of fuel.
I was in the service when Hummer came on seen. They are wonderful vehicles. Those type vehicles usually have around twenty-30 year shelf life in the military. That number has come and just about gone. I don't know if there is another planned vehicle or if competition for a replacement planned or taken place. I'm glad the Chineese did not get it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom