Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hypertech Junk

Trance_LT4

Corvette
Red 96 LT4 coupe
I just got back from carlisle, and while I was there, I had my car dynoed. I had previously had it dynoed in stock form at 305/315 hp/tq. After a few minor mods, one of them being a Hypertech programmer, I figured I'd pick up a few ponies.....wrong. I dynoed at 295/305. The technitian said my hypertech was #1 adding too much timing up top, and I was detonating #2 was making it run too rich....around 11.5:1. I was at a perfect 14.3 until he hit it, then it dropped into the 11s and stayed there all the way to 6300.

I am immediately removing the hypertech programming from my computer.

A friend with a '97 Z28 dynoed better with the hypertech in stage 1 form... I am not sure if the option available on the corvette tuner, but I assume it is... Try it out first, it is less aggressive and tends to yeild more power than stage 2 and factory.

i used the programmer this weekend and came up with a depressing 288.2 hp with 304 tq
whats up with these things, did i plug it in backwards

I did a couple of dyno runs with and with out the HPPIII. I lost HP and TQ with the HPP III and the power curve was very eratic.

UB2 SLOW said:
I did a couple of dyno runs with and with out the HPPIII. I lost HP and TQ with the HPP III and the power curve was very eratic.
A whole new computer ........set up to your particular car ......works a whole bunch better.........except that it's about 500........bananas......per box...........got one and love it......@7500rpm the car sounds a little different than it did way back there where it was originally........

I have the LT1 timing tables from the Programmer & stock.
I haven't looked at them in a long time but from what I remember it was just the opposite, they added timing on the low end (& very little) and took timing out from up top, which is why I decided not to use that part of the programing.
Maybe the LT4 programing is different.

I'm pretty satisfied with mine overall. I bought it used for $150 and it made a huge difference turning the fans on earlier and I needed it when I changed the rear gearing.

It's no different than any aftermarket chip, you're just not going to see big gains from an off-the-shelf type program.
There's always room for tuning improvement but IMO I think the stock programming on these cars works well with a few bolt ons.
I wouldn't think of spending $ reprogramming unless you did a cam & head.
just my .02

Cool. All I want to do is turn the fans on at a lower temp. The LT4 is strong and I don't want to f with it.....

How can I just get the fans on earlier?

The programmer will take you through a menu of things to change you say yes to what you want and no to what you don't.

Hypertech

HI if you check the Hypertech.com site you will find that there is little to gain in hp on the lt4. The outher fuctions are the drawing card.About Carslie the ambient air temp was close to 100 degrees on Saturday leaving performance ratings 10% lower than a 60 degree day.I saw a lt4 stock pull 310 rwhp at the middle of the day.I also saw a Mallet c5 pull 540hp very impressive. thanks bob. Oh by the way that is 600hp on a 60 degree day

i had the same depressing results with my lt4
287 with 305
i dont know what they are doing to get gains, i just left the fan changes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom