Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Couldn't Believe it!!!!!

S

SOLDIERMIKE6FT2

I Could't Believe it!!!!!

Folks,
I decided to chop off my mufflers of my '99 C-5 and run straight pipes with double tips out of the rear for a more aggressive sound. The result was a very bold and intimidating sound with TREMENDOUS power gain! I could not believe the increase in power! No matter how hard I accelerated through the gears, the engine did not cut-out like it normally would. It's as if the red line on the tach has disappeared! Simply amazing! Anyone else heard of such power gains with same mod?

SoldierMike
'99 C-5 Conv. (Mag. Red)

Sound is not obnoxiously loud at all - otherwise I would have put the Flowmaster mufflers back on. It's just a very aggressive and "intimidating" sound that DEFINITELY gives the engine more power and gets attention from onlookers when you are cruising down the street in 1st or 2nd gear. *grin*

SoldierMike

Loudness

Could you compare the "loudness" of it? Is it Harley Davidson loud?

Can you still drive it down the boulevard without the sound dominating the cruise?

I'd love to know what kind of power there is in this.

And that it isn't just the louder sound making you feel like you are getting more kick - I know the kids in their little ****boxes think louder is faster... and they'll swear they have more power, but I remember reading an article that studied two cars one normal exhaust and one with straight pipes, no power difference. EVERY driver felt the louder car was more powerful. I think it was Nissan (ack).

nice seniment. Ive driven those ****boxes and changing the exhaust can yield some power. Not that loud = fast, but a 5-6hp gain isnt unusual. When you're dealing with a low hp engine, every bit helps. What I dont understand is the people who dump so much money into their car that they could have bought something nice to begin with.

Ok, I let a "term of endearment" of mine slip, so I'll call them econoboxes.

Anyway, what I was getting at was the pure loudness making one feel like their car is faster.

Of course, changing the exhaust on any car (if it is good stuff) should yield a good percentage of power.

Adam

Trust me, no figment of imagination on power gain. Two things show me so. One, engine revs MUCH higher before cutting out. Two, 6th gear is no longer invisible. Now I can actually feel the car pick up speed in this gear. Soundwise, the car is only "loud" at really high revs (high 4's, 5's, and 6 range on tach). Otherwise, not much louder than sound made by adding Flowmaster or Borla exhaust.

SoldierMike

I do not doubt!

I was just asking questions.

I remember doing something like that on my '75 Camaro Rally Sport 4-speed. It FELT like it had more bottom end to me... and it really did feel that way. I couldn't prove anything.

Also, the noise made it seem faster at the top end, but I did not gain any top speed.

Ah, that poor car. It was my first car in 1990 and of course, I wrecked it. Only 10 years later did I realize that in 1975 Chevrolet built less than 10K of the Rally Sports.

Doh!

Adam

Sherry's observation...

Great observation, Sherry. Seems that it would take quite some time for the engine to be significantly affected by what you describe. In the mean time, I guess I'll keep on cruisin' while the engine's a hummin'......
P.S. I've attached a pic below. People seem to get a kick out of my vanity plates that read Y RACE U

SOLDIERMIKE:cool

interesting concept!

One has to wonder if your mufflers were plugged with rust or carbon before removal.
The slolam group I saw racing the clock have asked for stock mufflers so as not to have noise complaints from nearby residents while racing through pilons.
Anyway , sounds fun!!

2nd try on pic

Checking to see if pic attachment work. Apologize if it doesn't work. If not, someone please help me out on posting pic.

SOLDIERMIKE

SoldierMike's Red Conv. C-5

'99 C-5 Conv.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom