Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: I have a million questions

bundies

Corvette
1966 corvette 427-425 convertible
due to lifes many problems I had to leave my 1966 corvette sitting in a driveway since 1972. It needs major restore and I'm about to retire and start. (1) Is there a good school on gelcoat repair in some areas the bare glass is showing and I'd like to learn to repair it myself.. this was a 427-425 horse car but the warranty plate list the engine as a T06281PH. I don't see a PH listed as a suffix on this site. Also the serial number has a .H on the end, does this mean anything? It was a late 66 being delivered 8/24/66 probably the most valuble part on the car is the speedo with 33k original but the rest of the car is close to just a parts car. I understand these cars didn't have tank build sheets. would there be any place else I might find one. being a 425hp car it had very few options, the ones that are obvious are side pipes,power disc brakes, what they called a magnetic pulse ignition, am-fm with electric antenna. It also had a strange 4 speed not a close cut 2:20 but a wide ratio (I think) 2:54 with 4:11 gears. Should I try and rebuild the original calipers or op for the stainless I see in mags? I remember having trouble with the voltage regulator. I had re-wound the coils because even in 1970 nobody had one to go with the electronic ignition. Are they available now? Thanks for any help or advice. I'm still just a street racer at heart so I don't have cubic money for this project The second engine purchased for this car was a 1969 L-88 crate engine for you young guys to drule that short block with 12.5 compression and 7/16 inch rod bolts was $494.00 at my local chevy dealer. I kept spining number 6 rod bearing in the original block. The L88 was stolen in 1972 and the car was parked. Thanks

Sounds like an intersting car. I'm not a C-2 (or any other model) expert, but I believe there is a "Trim Tag" under the Glove Box on the passenger side that will tell of some of the options and/or interior codes. Best bet is to get Noland Adams book "Corvette Restoration - Volume 2"; it will tell you answers to questions you didn't know you had.

Where are you in DE ? There are several Corvette clubs in the area and I'm sure someone will chime in with some help.

Bernie O
Newark, DE

I recommend getting close to a NCRS chapter nearby.

Glad to hear you're bringing it back to life. Can you post a picture of the engine pad? The T06281PH has one too many characters in it for a 60's vintage Corvette engine.

Just about any part you need will be available from the usual vendors and if not an original will be a reproduction, some good some not so good quality. Just hold on to your hat and wallet when you look at prices. Hang on to your brake calipers of you're sure they're the originals. They can be sent out to a vendor to be SS sleeved, undetectable from the outside.

Most people steer away from gelcoat- the cars didn't have it when new and there's better alternatives available now.

First off, Welcome to CAC. We have some very knowledgeable people here who will be able to accurately answer your questions....unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. ;LOL

I too would like to congratulate you on being able to keep the car in such condition sitting for so long and now deciding to bring her back to life. I'll be following the progress!

BTW, my favorite year and model of Corvette is the 1966 427/425 roadster. :beer wish I could afford one. :w

The more I look at the warranty plate!!!

the last digets are not 1ph but IPH I get the feeling the extra H may be related to the .H on the end of the serial number??? I'm betting someone out there knows why....
Glad to hear you're bringing it back to life. Can you post a picture of the engine pad? The T06281PH has one too many characters in it for a 60's vintage Corvette engine.

Just about any part you need will be available from the usual vendors and if not an original will be a reproduction, some good some not so good quality. Just hold on to your hat and wallet when you look at prices. Hang on to your brake calipers of you're sure they're the originals. They can be sent out to a vendor to be SS sleeved, undetectable from the outside.

Most people steer away from gelcoat- the cars didn't have it when new and there's better alternatives available now.

Thanks

Well I haven't taken very good care of this car. Most people would consider it a donor car. But this was the car I had to have when I came home from Vietnam. These were the only cars that consistantly beat my hard running GTO. I wanted a 67 coupe, but found this one had already had engine work and at $3000 it was $600 cheaper then the 67 coupe I liked. I don't want to talk about the 1959 dual quad 283 I turned down for $600 because it had bad valve guides and smoked on start.... Of course like I told my wife then girlfriend silver paint is lighter and thats why this 66 car is so fast....
First off, Welcome to CAC. We have some very knowledgeable people here who will be able to accurately answer your questions....unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. ;LOL

I too would like to congratulate you on being able to keep the car in such condition sitting for so long and now deciding to bring her back to life. I'll be following the progress!

BTW, my favorite year and model of Corvette is the 1966 427/425 roadster. :beer wish I could afford one. :w

The "IPH" on the Protect-O-Plate is actually "IP", followed by the "H", which signifies a Holley carburetor; the engine suffix code on the P-O-P was always followed by a letter for the carburetor source, but the "H" didn't appear on the block stamp pad. "IP" is the correct suffix for a 427/425hp engine.

:beer

Iph

Thanks John, I think you are correct. I'm starting to remember things I knew long ago. Now do you think that is the reason for the .H on the end of the serial number on the POP?

The "IPH" on the Protect-O-Plate is actually "IP", followed by the "H", which signifies a Holley carburetor; the engine suffix code on the P-O-P was always followed by a letter for the carburetor source, but the "H" didn't appear on the block stamp pad. "IP" is the correct suffix for a 427/425hp engine.

:beer

Welcome to the CAC. Sounds like an interesting car to restore. Any big block midyear is worth the effort. Some just require more than others

Tom

There is a very nice guy Lou Cerchio in Newark, Deleware who knows these cars very well. He would be very happy to help you with "proper restoration" sugestions. Lou has owned hundreds of these cars. He also knows all the people in your area that can help with honesty and integrity.

I can PM you his email and phone if you want it.

(1) Is there a good school on gelcoat repair in some areas the bare glass is showing and I'd like to learn to repair it myself.. [/QUOTE]

Here is a link to an NCRS web page listing many restoration publications; a pair of Glas-Ra pubs are listed near the bottom of the page...

NCRS Restoration Library

or NCRS Restoration Library

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom