Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I just changed out my factory installed battery.

Florida Guy

Corvette
'96 Torch Red LT4
I'm sure no one is going to believe this but I just changed the factory installed battery in my '96 LT4. That's gotta be some kind of record - 12 years The battery in my wife's 96 T-Bird lasted until 2005. That's 9 years. Is everyone else getting that kind of use out of their battery???

I'm sure no one is going to believe this but I just changed the factory installed battery in my '96 LT4. That's gotta be some kind of record - 12 years The battery in my wife's 96 T-Bird lasted until 2005. That's 9 years. Is everyone else getting that kind of use out of their battery???

My sister had an A/C delco that went almost 8 years.

I usually replace mine around 5 or 6 years as preventive maintenance. I don't want something as inexpensive and easy to replace as a battery to leave me stranded.

I just replaced the original battery in my '94 a few weeks ago. The car only has 52K on it. A dead cell finally ended its life. :cry

A coworker has a 1997 Riv.that has just over 100k on it. Still has the factory installed battery. They do have the battery under the rear seat so it is not subjected to extreme temperatures.

Glenn

That is wild!! 12 years??! Did you put another AC Delco back in?

I just replaced mine in my Vette this year. I've had it 5 years this summer, and It wasn't "new" when I bought it.

Not a battery but my neighbor used his factory wiper blades in his Buick for 13 years and even then, he was resistant in changing them.:L

Funny thing you should mention this: I went to start my 96 LT4 today to get a state inspection(NY) and the battery went flat..I finally got it started and when it was inspected the mechanic was aware of the problem and stated that it must be the original battery!! I do believe the batteries last longer in todays cars. I also have a 99 Intrepid that I replaced its original battery, lasting 9 years.

Battery

Do you still have the dead battery around? I am looking for one to restore.

Thanks

Wow. I'm amazed. I test my batteries before winter starts using a conductance battery tester and find the CCAs drop off around 20-30% regardless of car or battery manufacture between 4-5 years.

Factory installed Batteries

We got 11 years from the Factory Battery in the wife's '81 Corvette. I'm on the third Delco in the '96 LT4!

I notice that the new GM cars are now top terminal batteries. I wonder if they are made to last as long as the side terminal batteries?

Sorry, swamppoodle-Pat, I traded it in when I bought a new Delco.

Back in the early 80s when I ran a service station, a Delco rep told me that Delco batterys were under rated by 20%. He said this was done so that if there was one that was a little substandard it still met the rating on the battery. I went so far as to check some of them and what he said held up. Since then any battery I buy for a car I plan on driving for a few yrs gets a Delco battery. Another note on Delco side terminal batterys. Very seldom have I ever seen the terminals get corroded. The exception is that a few yrs ago they had a bad batch, really bad.

Glenn
:w

I'm not sure Delco even makes their own batteries these days. The ones I've tested (size 75 and 47) using a conductance battery tester just reach manufacture ratings for CCAs. I've seen the same results for Motorcraft batteries (36R). The only battery that exceeds specs were those made by Johnson Controls.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom