Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I just want to fit in

• Thread starter Thread starter no_vette_yet
  • Start date Start date
N

no_vette_yet

I test drove another '93 over the weekend and I think I'm just too tall for these cars. With the clear top I have just enough clearance but if I lean back then the targa molding hits right in the back of me head. If I were to get rear ended my melon would smash against that thing. I played with all the positions on the seat and really not enough room. Is there a mod to lower the seat? Does the c-5 have more headroom?

Years ago I had a gen 1 RX-7 and even that pocket rocket had enough room for me. Is the vette just not for tall people?

I am 6'2" and 280lb. I fit in the C5 just fine. Joe Spielman, a GM employee, was a major player in the development of the C5. He is about 6'5" and he fits. However, I know another guy who is about that tall who does not fit. He has relatively shorter legs with most of his height in the body. His head is bent over against the roof. Go to a showroom or car lot and try one on for size.

This is me:

I should have chosen a friendlier picture. That is my Halloween outfit at work last year.

Hi, This may sound stupid but I think that might be true. I had a T-top 72 & my friend's hair would be flattened some what by the roof panel. He even had to slouch somewhat. With the roofs off his hair was above the top of the windshield frame if he sat comfortably. He is 6' 2". He had a thick head of hair and it was about three inches thick on the top of his head! I don't know if much has changed, that would be an interesting question to ask a corvette engineer. I sold him the car & I was surprised he wanted it! He told me he had trouble fitting in the 348(?) Ferrari, same thing with the hair & the roof. He had a 280Z that gave much more head room than the 72 vette. Tom

I'm a short dude (5'3") and I'd say the C4 engineers were short like me because, I fit right in...perfect;LOL

I'm 5"7' and fit perfect too! But saturday night, I let my friend take it out for a spin. He's 6"2' also but about 210lbs. at first he looked like a sardine packed in. we adjusted the seat all the way back but he was still tight. when we moved the seat a little forward abd then messed with the tilt and seat height he fit snug, but perfect.
Are you looking at models with the sport seat with all the controls?

I am 6'1 - 195 lbs and it took some messing around with the seat but I fit fine. Of course, it is much more comfortable with the top off. :D

I'm 6'2 260lbs and I love the way I fit in the car, nice and snug, feels more like a sports car than a C5.

Ever sat in a Lotus Esprit, now they are tight.

Mart

P.S. You want space and a roomy ride buy a RR.

Mart said:
I'm 6'2 260lbs and I love the way I fit in the car, nice and snug, feels more like a sports car than a C5.

Ever sat in a Lotus Esprit, now they are tight.

Mart

P.S. You want space and a roomy ride buy a RR.

I have to agree. I'm 6'2, 175 lb and I have no problem at all. I am confortable in it. I probably don't have that much clearance, maybe an inch or so between the targa roof and the top of my head, but that's ok.

If you're not comfortable, don't buy one. Try C5 if you can afford them.

6'3 & 200lbs...fit fine in my '96. I do not have the solid top...only clear. I do keep the seat adjusted down as far as it will go.

I am 6' 4" 260 and fit fine had to play with the tilt seat adjustments for a while but finally got it just right. Keep trying

JEFNLSA,
That's one fine looking car. What kind of wax, polish, do you use to get such a gr8 shine?

no_vette_yet said:
I test drove another '93 over the weekend and I think I'm just too tall for these cars. With the clear top I have just enough clearance but if I lean back then the targa molding hits right in the back of me head. If I were to get rear ended my melon would smash against that thing. I played with all the positions on the seat and really not enough room. Is there a mod to lower the seat? Does the c-5 have more headroom?

Years ago I had a gen 1 RX-7 and even that pocket rocket had enough room for me. Is the vette just not for tall people?

I'm 6' but have a long torso so I can understand your problem. I found out two things, one stay away from the sport seats, and two are you aware there is seat back reclining control on the side of the seat. That makes the biggest difference for me. I'm not talking about the power adjustments this is all manual seat back rake.

Finally, I think the convertible has less things up top to hit your head on.

Happy hunting

6'2" 230 lbs here...I wedge in quite well in my 88!!! Im also looking at a 71 Big Block and fit in there too!!!

Well I'm only 6'2" but am long between the tailbone and top. I will see if the side lever can make a gross adjustment to allow me to fit. Am curios to know the difference between the sport seats and the regular seats. How can I tell the difference and is it right that the non-sport seats sit lower in the cabin? My plan is to make my first vette a mostly depreciated c-4 and if I love it then upgrade to a c5 or c-6 later on. This will only happen if I can cram myself into the c-4 with decent comfort.

thirdtimevetteowner said:
JEFNLSA,
That's one fine looking car. What kind of wax, polish, do you use to get such a gr8 shine?

thx...:D

I have a whole cabinet full of stuff but mostly I've been using Meguiars products. Black is a @#$%!

I'm 6'2" and the car fits me perfectly, I have about 2" of space above my head with the glass top. I think if you're worried about getting in a car crash, get a big truck or van instead of a Corvette. No one wants to be in a crash, but these things happen.

I am 6'2" and average length legs.. 34 inseam. Before I bought my convertible , I drove some coops, almost seemed to me there was more headroom in the convert. Everyone that said tilt adjustment helps is right. Seems to ba a matter of geometry. I like to sit low in a car anyway with my seat lower than my knees. I am more comfortable in the Vette than I could ever get in my 98 Rivera. Figure that out. What would help a little would be a telescoping wheel. Only real trick is getting that left knee under the chin to get out .;LOL

:w

6'3" 180 lbs here. Actually, I feel quite comfortable in my 96. I have the seat as low as possible. And I agree with Jeff, black is a tough color.

I have to agree with the others, check out a convertible. I'm 6' and 280 pounds and I have about an inch or two of head room with my convertible's top up.
I do have a problem seeing traffic lights when stopped at intersections though. :eyerole

EttevroC said:
I have to agree with the others, check out a convertible. I'm 6' and 280 pounds and I have about an inch or two of head room with my convertible's top up.
I do have a problem seeing traffic lights when stopped at intersections though. :eyerole

I have the same issues...6'3" and 235lbs...no problem fitting into my '87 convertible, but can't see the traffic lights with the top up...I ended up taking the sun visors off and it gives me a couple more inches of visibility.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom