Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Knew Something Like This Would Happen!

Jake1798

Corvette
1976 Stingray 350 4Spd
Well, Friday was the first day that my '76 was up and running after a fresh engine rebuild. I knew it was too good to be true as I had tried to not get my hopes up throughout the entire rebuild and expected to take the block back out for whatever reason. After an afternoon of light driving my fears became reality as I heard an extremely loud knocking of some sort coming from the block. Soo, up came the tow truck and and my baby was towed back to the shop. After I taking the oil pan off we discovered that the #7 cap had came lose off the con rod and the cap split into two. Was just lucky that the rod didn't shoot through the block. Hoping that there is no damage to the block and that I will simply have to replace the con rod. It was fun while it lasted and will hopefully have it up and running again soon.

-Jake

I know how you feel. I'm just having my new engine built by a couple of guys I really trust. Those 1st few anxious minutes of break-in hoping nothing goes wrong. Then all that talk on the forums about camshaft break-in and failures have got me kinda worried. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hope for you that the problem only is a bad con. rod cap. Good Luck.

65-StingRay

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm always listening for surprises and noises. Don't know if the paranoia will ever end.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom