Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I may sell my Original 79, am I nuts?

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
I still have a 1979 L-48, 4 speed car I bought new in 3/79. Has 37,xxx miles. It has the original paint, interior and even kept the original tires. I think it has had only one hose and one belt replaced. Dark green/Beige interior. I ordered the car new and kept all the paperwork. Here is my problem, I have a 2 car garage and have 3 cars. I have to deceide if its time to let her go??? Keeping a car 25 years makes selling a problem!!! I don't see these cars bringing much money yet. Until just recently, I had free storage, now it is costing $150 a month to keep her. I would like to think she is worth something, being a 1 owner all original car. What do you guys think??? Tough decision... Thanks, Kurt

It sounds to me you are keeping this car waiting for it's value to go up. If so, then sell it as you will never offset the $150 per month storage fee.

If you still enjoy your car, then you need to decide if it's worth $150 per month to keep.

PS. I think you're nuts for having a car 25 years and only putting 37k miles on it.

I'd put the Vette in the garage and put one of your other cars in the driveway. The values will increase as time passes.

$150 a month, why don't you take that money and put a third bay on your garage. That way your car has it's own shrine. Make sure you put heat, fridge and cable in the new space. :L Good luck with your decision, Tim

I wish I could add a garage...That would be the simple fix. I have a small lot and not enough room for expansion. Maybe a different home??? The problem is, I have kind of lost interest in the car. As time went on and I had the space, it was easy to just park it and forget it. I worked for a Vette shop while in college, the owner told me to never sell the car, you will wish you had it when your older. I took his advise.. It was cool when it was new, now their value has not moved much and they really were not fast..Now, I like older cars from the 60"s I have added two cars in addition, a 67 Corvette coupe and a 67 Nova SS. Which one goes outside? Get this, to add to the problem. At 47, I find out my wife is with child, my first..would it be nice to keep it for him ( It's a boy)... In another 20 years, it may be worth something?? What to do???? Kurt

Hmmmmm, now I'm begining to see the picture a little more clearly. Is there enough headroom in the garage for a lift? Literally put the 79 up for a few years. Probably not. I'd sell and take the money and start a college fund. A four year degree will probably be a $100,000 by the year 2022(his high school graduation) Take care, Tim :w

Well, if you decide to sell it, whats it worth? I have a 79 with only 29,000 original miles. I bought mine late last year and are probably the third owner as best I can tell. My car belongs in the hands of a guy that collects these things. So I have decided to "maybe" sell mine also.

What I want is a daily driver 1993/94/95 Vette. Maybe I can find the right one and trade even. I am affraid to drive my 79 for the fact that the odometer only shows 29,108 as of right now. And I do not want it to go over the 30,000 mile click. I'll follow this thread to see what you do and what price you ultimately end up getting.

PS: I know its a hard decision to sell it if you have owned it for 25 years. Good luck with your choice......... :confused

Jeff :beer

I'm interested is $ is right...

Gents,

Maybe this is a win win situation- I'm looking for a '79, Preferably a 4-speed.
I have had 2 78's (S/A and PC) and a '79 L-82 4-speed. I want to get back in the saddle again, I too just had a baby boy (also a 2 y/o girl) Let me know what you decide.

Love to see pics and here about those '79's

Please contact me...

Best regards,

Sully
(cesully1945@yahoo.com)

For me to cut loose of this car, I would want over $20000. Original paint (very nice yet), original interior (mint). Still have the original Goodyear Radial GT tires stored in basement (good tread). Original radio. I did add spoilers (GM to car within a year of ownership). I have the bill of sale, window sticker and cancelled check. 4 speed green cars were few. I wanted and ordered an L-82 engine but, in the chicago area (Cook Co) they were not allowed?? I even have the order sheets. Keeping the car for over 25 years must be worth something?? I bet I could have it judged by NCRS and do well...

I am starting to think real hard again of putting my 79 on the market. As described above its a very nice car. Needs only minor items to make it really, really nice. The paint was done probably 10 years ago in the original yellow color. It looks like whoever did the paint removed all the trim and took their time. Its hard to tell its been painted. The interior is original oyster leather and has cloth Corvette seat covers on them to protect them. They have been there awhile so the seats are in very good shape. Not perfect but as nice as you can expect to be for being 25 years old. Original radio, AM/FM/CB that still works. Perfect glass and dash. New A/C compressor with R-12 freon. Recent tires and freshly detailed under the hood with all new belts and hoses so it looks real nice and clean. This recent engine detail project was a big deal so I enlisted my top-gun master technician Bobby. Hes the best at fixing almost anything you can imagine and we did it right.

All in all the only thing I can think of that does not work is the clock. It works mind you but you have to pull out the set knob and snap it back in a few times to make the second hand tick. It might run for a day, maybe an hour, maybe a week. You get the picture. And the engine tach needs to be calibrated. Its easy I hear. Just havent had the time to mess with it. I already bought the tach circuit board and installed it myself so I know it works, just indicates about 700/800 RPM's higher than it should.

Anyway, I wont ask anything near $20,000 as my car is not as nice as kobi67's. But I feel that a starting price around $13,000 is on the mark for a rare yellow color with oyster leather trim. Any takers? I can e-mail pics? Cant post them here as they are too large to be uploaded. But if your truly interested let me hear from you and you'll get the photo's...........Boeing717Driver@aol.com

PS: The car is garaged in Charlotte, N.C. This aint bubba's car and wasnt used as an experiment gone bad. Its an original beauty! This vehicle is classy and needs to be in the hands of a real Corvette officianado.

Come on guys! Somebody must need a beautiful low miles Yellow C-3 Corvette in their garage! Did you look at the pictures?? Not even one reply..........I'm confused!

Jeff

Hi citruspilot

nice car. :)
sorry but i'm not in the market yet for a second vette but probably will be next year. since we got our '65 in March now my wife wants a Vette for her own but the budget won't allow for another car until next year. '79's also have a sentimental spot for me as that's the year my father had - he always wanted a Vette his whole life but never could afford one than he got very ill so my grandparents got him a '79 brand new. He was only able to enjoy that car about a year before passing on but at least it was a dream he was able to have before he went. My mother drove the car afterwards for about 4 years before selling it. She recently told me she regreted selling that car from the first day it left the garage.

So, does your mom want to buy it?? ;LOL

Thanks for the post. It really is a very sweet car and looks better in person, or Vette, or, you know what I mean! :eyerole

TTT

Needs to sell so I can get a nice truck. Anybody got a super nice Chevy truck for trade? No work trucks, just a nice clean well cared for Silverado Z-71 would be nice. Lets say a 01/02. Decent miles not a high miler either.

I think we all would like to think that our cars are uniquely valuable, but the fact is that few of the C-3's are worth appreciably more than Kelly book regardless of how well maintained. Additionally, low mileage is sometimes a two-edged sword viewed by some as requiring new seals, updating, etc.

Remember the people that spent $25k for`78 Pace cars and then moth-balled them ? They might be getting their money out of them today. If you invested the same money in t-bills or CD's, you'd be money ahead.

Unfortunately, I doubt that your beautiful `79 is worth anywhere near $20k and will doubtfully appreciate to that level in the forseeable future. It's a tough pill to swallow, but if you've lost interest - - bail - -paying for storage with the hopes you'll recoup it as in investment is a longshot at best.

I mean absolutely no offense-- we all love our cars...and like our spouses, they have their greatest value to us !
Regards-
CQRT in AZ

So, what your saying CQRT is the price I am asking for my 1979 "moth-balled", extremely nice, almost like new, just as it looked as it came off the showroom floor, seems like its been kept in a time machine, excellent specimen of a 1979 Corvette with only 29,000 original miles, 25 year old car fiberglass bodied Corvette in mint condition is only worth "about" the $12500 "ish" price that I am needing? Thanks..........

And, oh by the way, what does the Kelly Blue Book say a car of this condition is worth because I dont know. Could you please provide us with the information. Personally I would like to know. ;shrug

No disrespect to you either. But what a man askes for his car is totally his choice. If the original poster of this thread needs/asks $20,000 for his car then let him be. If he is "lucky" enough to get that price then he has succeded in his quest. But please dont spill water on his burning embers. Who knows, someone might see it as he does and pays him what he seeks............ As for mine, at my price, its one hell of a deal then! :bu

Thanks,

Jeff

I had a feeling I should't have gone that route - - sorry.

My point was, we can all ASK whatever we choose . . . whether we get it or not is dependent upon another person to whom your passion has the same high value.

And no, I wasn't likening your car to the Pace Cars - - many of those folks bought `em and stored `em without driving them one mile - - so they never got to enjoy the cars as you have.

I'm certain your car is awesome . . .and I hope you get your price.

Jeff, please take no offense. i've known CQRT for some time. he's not the type to bash or disrespect anyone. just merely speaking facts of the market.

Robin

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom