Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I may sell my Original 79, am I nuts?

I sold my first Corvette and still wish I had it, so I kept my 76 to "Hot Rod around in" simply for that reason when I bought my C-5, I could have traded it in and ended up with a newer year C-5, but I too have two sons who will be fighting over it in a few years :L and a 30x48 barn to store it in. As someone else said you can buy a 4 post lift and store two cars in the space of one.

Just want to add a couple of cents to this discussion. I too own an original 79 Corvette, that I bought new in Dec 1978 (delivery March 1979). It has 30K on it and has been through the Bloomington Gold and Survivor judging. I have the Survivor award and a Silver award. I only passed 3 of the 4 Survivor judging categories because 9 different judges thought that my car had been repainted. In fact, it never was! It's all original, but I had no way to prove it. It didn't matter, since I only got a Silver certificate, I was not able to move on to the benchmark judging. Also, I remember the L-82/Cook County, IL conflict, but I think it was finally allowed in at some point in time, but don't have exact dates. I purchased mine from a dealer in Dupage County before Cook allowed them in. Never had any problem. If you know Cook County, they wouldn't know an L-82 from their own faces. I hope that the BG awards will mean something when I do sell it some day.

L82Dan, I recently showed my 79 to a local guy who is big into NCRS. Like you, He feels the car will be worth more if judged by NCRS. You are smart to have this done. I am hoping some day these cars will come into their own. Prices of pre 74 cars are getting to the point where our cars may be affordable at $15-$20K. Time will tell... Bummer, you got hammered on the paint.. I can't understand how "The Pro's" can't identify original paint??? I hope I don't have that issue??
You have a good memory about the L-82 issue.. Cook Co did allow them later in the year. I don't think it was long after I took delivery on mine March 13, 1979.
I did finally bring the car home and am storing it in my garage on a 4-post lift.
You know your getting old, when you have had a car long enough to put historic plates on it!!! Kurt

What is your state's restrictions on historic license plates? Here in Illinois, they are called antique plates and restricts your driving of the vehicle only to and from car shows and for service related issues. They are not allowed on regular daily driver cars. I know from your thread that that is not an issue with your car, but even though I don't drive mine all that much, I'd rather make that decision on my own, rather than have the politicians (sic) tell me. I'm glad that you worked out your storage situation to your satisfaction. My feeling is, when you are really tired of look at and driving the Corvette, then sell it. But for me, every time I do drive it, I get that same "rush" that I got when I first bought it.

hi all:)
Just my 2 cents,
Im sure the above mentioned cars are VERY nice, Theirs several options to choose from , try finding a cheaper storage place or a friends / relatives place,
perhaps you could afford one of those larger storage sheds "they make them big enough to put cars in" maybe even add on a carport to keep it in "covered naturally", . I think the c3's will have their time too and eventuly be worth a lot more than they are now, I got my 77 almost 2 years ago with 68.000 miles all # matching etc, Most people think i paid more than it's "blue book" "going rate" $13.500.00, but as long as im happy with it thats what really counts anyway:)
If youve totally lost interest in it try one of them classic car dealers, I see your from st louis, try these guys and see what they will offer you for it http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com from what i understand they work on a commission basis, I hope this is of some help
Sherry:)

Missouri allows 1000 miles per year. It is to go to shows for the most part, not for daily driving. It has to be 25 years old to qualify. This will allow you to pass on emission tests and safety inspections. With my car sitting so much, I was always allowing the inspections to expire. The 1000 mile limit works out for my use, I have not put 1000 miles on the car since 1981...
My wife has convinced me to keep the car for our son. I guess I'll just see if I can keep it for another 25 years.
I too get a bit of a rush when I take it for a spin. Tons of memories of the college days as a young man with a new Vette..(I hope my wife does not read this). Kurt

Very nice looking 77 Sherrie. Reminds me of the Corvette that Bill Bixby drove on the TV show, The Magician.

Im sure he didnt turn into the incredible hulk while driving it LMAO!!!:)
L82Dan said:
Very nice looking 77 Sherrie. Reminds me of the Corvette that Bill Bixby drove on the TV show, The Magician.

kobi67 said:
You know your getting old, when you have had a car long enough to put historic plates on it!!! Kurt
You really know you're old when you can put original '69 plates on you vehicle and the plates came from a vehicle you had. I did that on my '69 Corvette - put the plates that I had from my '69 Road Runner that I bought new.

sherry_ridgeway said:
hi all:)
Just my 2 cents,
Im sure the above mentioned cars are VERY nice, Theirs several options to choose from , try finding a cheaper storage place or a friends / relatives place,
perhaps you could afford one of those larger storage sheds "they make them big enough to put cars in" maybe even add on a carport to keep it in "covered naturally", .
I bought a 10x20 steel Garage that was about $1800 installed. One Corvette stays in the house attached 2-car garage and the other stays in the 10x20. My property is only 1/4 acre.

;) I just can't see keeping a car for that many years and not putting any miles on it...now you are thinking about selling it....you didn't even get to enjoy it in all those years , except to look at it....Now someone else will get to enjoy the low miles on it.....I would keep it and drive it....they are made to be driven.....well just my dollars worth....good luck in whatever you decide.....:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom