Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! I need a torque specs for a 6.0L

Bones280

Corvette
1999 White Coupe
I have a new 6.0L that i'm going to put it in my C5. I'm doing a cam swap and i need the torque specs for the motor (i.e timeing cover, intake, valve covers). Can someone help? Thanks

The front timing cover has a torque spec of 89 in. lbs. (snug) and a final torque of 18 ft. lbs. as does the oil pan. Use loctite on all bolts. The timing cover will find its home. The torque sequence is done in a radial pattern on the timing cover. Where the oil pan meets the timing cover, don't forget to put a dollup of gasket sealer at the two corners where they both meet, or you will have an oil leak for sure. The cam retainer plate gets 18 ft. lbs. Use the white thread lock on the water pump and torque to 18 ft. lbs. The harmonic balancer needs 37 ft. lbs. with a torque angle of 140 degrees. This is very hard to do with an engine in the car, but if your engine is out, it should be fairly easy. You may have a problem with the turning of the crank, unless you use some nylon rope in the spark plug hole #1 as a piston stop to get your balancer torque spec. finished. I don't have a torque spec. on the valve covers, but snug should be fine due to the valve cover gasketing. Are you changing, or using the SLP shim for the bias spring for the oil pump? The alignment of the pump is also critical. I have the oil pump torque spec. at 18 lb. ft. then 45 lb. ft. on final after the alignment using a feeler gauge. Note: The balancer bolt is a one time user. You will need a new balancer bolt, due to bolt stretch already on the existing factory bolt. I hope some of this info. helps. Let me know if you need any other info. and I'll see if I have it. Good luck with the swap.

Thanks that realy helps. I will be working on it tonight. Thanks again for your help.

slightly off topic, but I have full torque specs for c5/c6/c6z06 vettes on my site, just print double sided and keep in your tool box.

Welcome to DavidFarmerStuff

Laminating makes them especially usefull

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom