Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need advice

Corvette
1986 "Bright Red" Coupe
I'm thinking of purchasing a ZR1. What should I be looking for as far as weaknesses of this vehicle. I currently own a 1986 Coupe and really have not had any problems other than regular maintenance items. I have owned that car for 11 years and driven it about 25,000 miles. Is it possible that I could expect the same trouble free years of enjoyment from a ZR1? I have been looking at many on Ebay and the prices seem very reasonable right now.

I need Advice

Hi,

I bought my ZR1 with high miles. I got a great price & history on the car. The only issue was the Bose Car Stero System which cost me a total of $350 to fix CD player & all 4 speakers which the owner told me a time I bought the car. I personally did not buy my ZR1 to park in the my garage to look Pretty, I drive my ZR1 quite a bid when I'm not at work & it looks good. There is a 94 ZR1 on http://zr1netregistry.com/ZR1_sale.htm with 92,000 low for that year but high for ZR1's with a good price. Most ZR1 owner take pride in ownership of their Beast. If you are looking for low mile ZR1's they are out there with great prices. Also you can go to the ZR1 Registry website & get on the distro list, if you do see one there are at least 2 ZR1 owners that will take a look at it for you. There are knowedgeable ZR1 owners in your area.

Tomcat 74
1991 #906

I'm getting real anxious now! I want one! This means I will have to part with my mint 1986, but I think I will get over it. Thanks for all the great info, I checked out the registry, tons of info there. Where do I look for engine numbers etc. I want to find one that has matching numbers of course.

There aren't too many reasons an engine wouldn't match. It's not like with the smallblock where its often cheaper or easier to just swap in a whole new performance motor than to build one up.

But it's there on the engine and the tranny. On the tranny I believe it's on the passenger side on a plate. On the engine I believe it's on the passenger side on the lower-half of the block (the ladder frame) just above where the oil pan meets it.

Thanks for all the input, I just took my "old" RED 86 coupe out for a run today, it really runs and looks good and it will be hard to part with it when the time comes, I'm hoping that a nice RED ZR1 will make the parting a little easier. I'm looking at one now and it has about 35000 miles on it and all documentation and maintenance records. Has a new clutch also. Is it normal to need a new clutch with only 35000 miles on the clock? Also needs new tires soon. Other than that it looks very clean, original paint in great condition. Don't know how it runs because it is too far away to go inspect it personally. If I can get the price where I want it I'm going for it!

I don't know that 35k is normal, but I doubt it's unheard of either. I'm not really an expert at that type of thing. You could ask why they changed it. Was it to upgrade to something better? Did it have a defect? Did it just wear out? Hopefully it's not from something like too many 7 grand clutch drops!

Just remember there are more of them out there than you think. So if something seems wrong, that's not the only red one. :)

Also, if you plan on driving/modding it, you might want to get one that's already got some of the work done. It'll save you some time and money.

No plans for modifications. I just want a really clean, good running, original example. I really don't want one that has been modified at all, I am a stric keep as it was built owner. Eventually want to show it at local shows. I currently show my 86 Coupe and have won many 1st place trophies over the years in show class, so It is going to be hard to let it go. The ZR1's are definitely a step above just a plain L98 coupe. I am prepared to do the work to make it look showroom new.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom