Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: I need further clarification please.

Elliott

Corvette
1979 Midnight Blue Coupe
I am looking to replace the original rear spring in order to level my car and to replace the shocks because they appear to be original. I've read where this issue was supposedly thoroughly discussed months ago, but I could not find the thread so please bare with me. One obvious option is to replace the spring with a stock steel one and to replace with standard oil shocks. I am looking for a good ride, not pushing the performance envelope. Based upon all of your experiences, what are the reasons (if any) that I should rather consider a composite spring and higher end shocks? I understand a composite spring would be lighter. I don't want to make a poor choice if there are newer products that are more effective and durable, yet I don't need to have the latest/greatest and don't want to pay for performance I don't need. And the cost differences are material. Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond. Please redirect me to an earlier thread if I just missed it. Dave

Unfortunately that one is mine, as well. Now that I know I need a new spring, I am interested in what kind given all of the options. Maybe the issue has been talked out because I did see that an earlier inquiry was directed to an older communication that I could not find. Dave

If you prefer not to pay for performance you don't need, you're happy with the car's ride and handling now consider keeping your existing spring and replacing the shocks. If the rear ride height is a little low, buy longer aftermarket spring bolts and raise the car up.

Also, I'd measure the car's trim height per the factory service manual. That will tell you if the right height is too low in the rear or too high in the front.

Thank you, I will start with the factory specs.

If you prefer not to pay for performance you don't need, you're happy with the car's ride and handling now consider keeping your existing spring and replacing the shocks. If the rear ride height is a little low, buy longer aftermarket spring bolts and raise the car up.

Also, I'd measure the car's trim height per the factory service manual. That will tell you if the right height is too low in the rear or too high in the front.

Good advice and easy to do and maybe save you some money.

Remember if you go with the composite spring you'll need to replace the shocks with ones designed to work with a composite spring.

Remember if you go with the composite spring you'll need to replace the shocks with ones designed to work with a composite spring.

I'm actually leaning towards replacing with a new OEM steel spring and standard shocks. I am primarily wanting to level the car. First I'm going to confirm factory specs on height. I'd be satisfied with the originally designed ride and am not looking for performance enhancements. I'd be open to anyone's input on a different approach. TX Dave

What other issues do I need to look for?

FWIW, The best thing I did on my 79 L-48 was to replace the rear spring with a 330 pound TRW fiberglas spring and put on a set of Gas Shocks all around. The ride was improved 150% and with a new set of 225/70-R15 goodyears it handled and rode like never before.

If you decide to go with a composite/fiberglass spring, make sure you have enough clearance between the spring and your exhaust. The composites don't appreciate the heat. If it's close, you might consider wrapping both the spring and the exhaust with header wrap.

If you decide to go with a composite/fiberglass spring, make sure you have enough clearance between the spring and your exhaust. The composites don't appreciate the heat. If it's close, you might consider wrapping both the spring and the exhaust with header wrap.[/QUOTTE

I understand. TX. How much clearance do I need to avoid the wrap?

Ride hight.

Hi Elliott and welcome to the forum, best of luck and I hope you enjoy your new Vette. Before you go thru the trouble of changing the spring you might consider just replacing the rear spring mounting rubbers. In 30 years they may be compressed and that alone could be why your car is lower in the rear. If that does not raise up the car enough then you can bring your spring to a truck repair shop and have it re-arched and new liners installed.
If your going to drive at the posted street and highway speed limit then the stock spring and stock replacement shocks will be satisfactory. PG.

If you decide to go with a composite/fiberglass spring, make sure you have enough clearance between the spring and your exhaust. The composites don't appreciate the heat. If it's close, you might consider wrapping both the spring and the exhaust with header wrap.
Don't know about the '79's, but my '81 has a heat shield wrapping the differential and the spring.
Here's one on ebay: Corvette Rear Differential Exhaust Heat Shield 1981-82:eBay Motors (item 360051281695 end time Sep-02-09 14:51:59 PDT)

No, it's not mine.

I thought longer spring bolts would lower the car. :confused

I think you mean shorter bolts. Longer bolts will lower the car.

Silly me. What an idiot I am sometimes when I get in a hurry.
:boogie

Vettehead Mikey and others are spot on! To raise you need shorter bolts to lower you need longer bolts.

OK, this is an area where I have no knowledge. So if I want to raise the rear, I want shorter bolts. In doing so is anything else effected, is it just the body height? Are they special bolts that need to be ordered? Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom