Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Need One Qjet Part...Just one...

Corvette
1979 L-82/1996 LT1- Both Black Coupes
I have been on my search for one K-series rod that Bubba bent when previously kitting the carb on recently aquired 79 L-82.
Its a 53K rod.
Looks like this:
IMG_0650.jpg

If anybody has a spare I am willing to pay...or I can afford free...or...a link to where they are sold.

I havent found any online.
Junk yards tell me anything older than 82 they "scavenge the copper and aluminum and smash for weight".

Can anybody help a buddy?

Thanks,
Jim

You might contact Lars who is a member of this board. lLook up his name on the members list, I'm sure you could pm him.

Bill

Bill75 said:
You might contact Lars who is a member of this board. lLook up his name on the members list, I'm sure you could pm him.

Bill

Yes...I have already...thanks!

Jim

I just went through the same thing (last week), searching for a #41K for an '80 L-82. Unless you can find a junk carb, your best bet is to order a set of the Edelbrock rods for their '75 up Performer series. These rods are the shorter, single taper "k" rods. However, the selection is very limited. There is no #53k rod, only .052" (part #350-1945) or .054" (#350-1947).
I finally decided to order one of the available rods and change jets to match the open area of my original jet set at cruise. So instead of the original #41k rods and #72 jets, I now have #48k rods and #76 jets. The cruise area with the second combination is withing 1% of the original set. However the WOT area for the new set is larger since all rods have the same size tip.
I contacted everybody I could find looking for these rods. Even spent last Saturday looking in junkyards at second series Q-Jets. I did find two sets of #52K's, but that was it. The car currently is running well on the 52k's and #77 jets, but will change when the new parts arrive.
Good luck,
Mike

Sorry, forgot to tell you that I ordered the rods from Jegs.
Reason I needed the rods is when I opened my carb I found a set of 36b's in it. These are for the first series Q-jet and are .080" longer and have a different taper. I just got the car a week before and knew the carb had problems when I purchased it. Have worked on over 200 Q-jets but this is a first for me (finding the earlier type metering rods in a late carb). The documents I got with the car indicate the carb was rebuilt in '97. Don't know if this was Bubba's idea of a performance upgrade or a replacement because the original rods were damaged.
The substitution of the correct type rods (k) and an new choke pull-off solved my issues.
Mike

Thanks Mike...the jets are 77's. Am I to understand that my rods are .053?...it is clearely stamped 53K...how many sets of the 52k do you have?...any spares?...I only need one..lol
I guess i wll need to do like you and order from Edel and get this over with.

Jim

MMM said:
Sorry, forgot to tell you that I ordered the rods from Jegs.
Reason I needed the rods is when I opened my carb I found a set of 36b's in it. These are for the first series Q-jet and are .080" longer and have a different taper. I just got the car a week before and knew the carb had problems when I purchased it. Have worked on over 200 Q-jets but this is a first for me (finding the earlier type metering rods in a late carb). The documents I got with the car indicate the carb was rebuilt in '97. Don't know if this was Bubba's idea of a performance upgrade or a replacement because the original rods were damaged.
The substitution of the correct type rods (k) and an new choke pull-off solved my issues.
Mike

Case closed $27. later...Jegs...be here Thur.
.052 rods and new 77 jets to match those particular rods.
Had I of known..I would of ordered Friday when I discovered the bent rod.

Thanks for the info Mike!

Jim

Don't know if this will help, but I'm scrapping the original Rochester off my 74 (cracked housing, bad seals, etc.) and replacing it with a rebuilt model from Ecklers.

When I get it off, I'll look for that part and see if it's still good. It'll be about a month or so before I get it done, though.

email me if you want.

Wade

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom