Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! I need tires!!!

D

dogfish246

Heres the deal; my old tires were worn out becasue my stupidity of not keeping an eye on them. I need a wheel alignment, and new tires... I am going to replace all four even though the backs are still good.

I need:
-All 4 are 275/40/17
-All Season Tires
-High Speed Rated
-Cheap (under $120 each uninstalled)

Anyone have any good tires/experiences?
Any imput is much appreciated!

Im looking at these right now:
Sumitomo HTR+ (all weather)
Sumitomo HTR Z II ( not all season but a possibility bc they are like the toyos I have now)
What do you guys think?

Thanks A Lot

I put some Kumho Esta ASX's on mine last year and couldn't be happier. Got them from Tire Rack. I can't remember exactly what I paid but I think it was around $550 for a set of 4. Had the local dealer put them on for $60. I had a lot of recommendations for these tires. The tires and KYB shocks really made a difference in the ride quality.

Ron
"Baldie88"

I put some Kumho Esta ASX's on mine last year and couldn't be happier. Got them from Tire Rack. I can't remember exactly what I paid but I think it was around $550 for a set of 4. Had the local dealer put them on for $60. I had a lot of recommendations for these tires. The tires and KYB shocks really made a difference in the ride quality.

Ron
"Baldie88"

iagree.gif
iagree.gif
iagree.gif

I did away with the GY run craps on my C5 about 4 years ago,Replaced them with ASX's!!:thumbI've got about 50,000 miles on them and will replace them before winter,the rears are about down to the ware bars!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
There Smooth and Quiet,Great Wet and Standing Water Traction and Purdy damned good with Snow and Ice!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
Haven't had a single flat in 50,000 miles,thats more than I can say for the GY Run Craps,I had 5 on the rear in the first 2 years!!:D:D:D

TireRack

You drive your Corvette in the ice and snow??? Heck, I try to avoid rain at all costs. My Ruby is too nice to let the bad weather touch it. Just my 2 cents, OK!!!

I just put on 4 Bridgestone Potenza RE760 sports on my 92, a little more than the 120 uninstalled though. I bought them online at tire rack, but so far I'm impressed with the quiet quiet ride and grip. At least look at them, ranked #1 in the summer ultra high performance category at tirerack.com and very positive reviews from others who have had them on longer than I.

KUMHOS !!!! Use them on all three of mine. Except for the rear of the Z07 Sumitomos 315x 35x 17

tcxd40

I was torn between Kumhos and Michelins. Went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on the recommendation of my local Chevy dealer. Love the tire. Smooth and quite. Holds balance well and great traction. I have about 23M on them now with loads of tread left. Lookingfor 40 - 50M out of these tires.

Thanks Guys for all the info!! Its good to get info from people who have personal experience!!

Yes, my car is my daily driver. It is in show condition because I never let it get dirty. It hurts me to drive in the rain, but hey, whats the point of owning a Vette if you cannot have fun with it all the time!

Oh yeah, I did drive it in the snow once because I did not want to sleep over at school for the 2nd night in a row. The floor is cold!

And yes, dont worry, it is garaged even at school!:cool

Thanks Again!

I also need 4 new tires, of the exact same description you gave. I went to Tire Discounters and they said that size tire ranged from $125-$350 a tire and that instalation was $14/tire.

I haven't bought the tires yet so I don't actually have a recomendation, but when they did a tire patch for me on a different car they even balanced it. Probably something that should be done, but years ago when I had a Camaro tire patched the guy was done in like 5 minutes and I don't remember any special effort. And their patch was free. So just saying so far they are on my good side, but I want to shop around.

So far, I have no concept of which brand is better than another. All I have to go on, so far, is this thread and an article I read about yokohama tires preforming very well.

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus.
I've driven both types of tires in snow and ice and rain and both work well for a very wide tire on a light weight car. The problem is that they are both priced in the 220-240 range each at tirerack.com. The Michelin will last a good long time also.

I would go with Kuhmo's, good price and great tire. I have them on my 91 and also on my Rock Krawler good tire!

Check local tire dealers. Tire rack wants to charge you for road hazard. I bought mine from a local place and the Kumho tires have the road hazard at no extra cost.
After totaling all the expense of shipping and mounting I paid less total locally than getting them from tire rack.
I think the road hazard is a factory standard on automotive tires.

Glenn
:w

i have 4 new Nexen N3000s on mine and they look awsome and perform great!!! cost me $420 installed, balanced and aligned!!

I also just put a set of Nexen N3000 tires on my 89. They ride good, handle good and run quiet. Do not know about long term or mileage but they seem to work.

Thanks Guys... I got the Perilli Super Sports and I like them a lot so far! They are all season, but they feel reel good!:cool

I also bought Kumho tires; the price was right and the quality seems reasonable. I've had them for three seasons now but only around 5,000 miles on them. Overall they have been pretty good, nice quiet ride, no major issues.

I've noticed though that they are becoming a bit slippery, particularly on smooth pavement (with ASR off), even though there is no noticeable tread wear. I don't drive the car in the rain so I can't say anything about wet road handling. If I can pull the cash together, I may get a higher end tire next year, perhaps Goodyear or Michelin.

I also just put a set of Nexen N3000 tires on my 89. They ride good, handle good and run quiet. Do not know about long term or mileage but they seem to work.

I've got one Nexen N3000 on the rear of my 89. I had that put on out of town when my rear tire blew. It's been there for about 2 years, though I don't drive it much. The only thing I noticed is it sits outside, and some places of the rubber look faded to brown.

Could be from the sun, or may just be brake dust, don't know.

I'm gonna replace the tire on the other side, so I'll have to look and decide if I want a Nexen or do with a more expensive one this time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom