Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! I really need some help locating my old Vette!

shrev94412

I am trying to locate a 1981 Corvette that I purchased brand new in 1981. I do not have the VIN so, I have been trying to locate a source, even if a fee is required, to search through records to narrow down possibilities. The car was a 1981, White with Navy Blue Interior, Automatic, with the rally wheels and NO rear window defogger. Most Corvettes that I saw during that time had the rear window defogger and had the slotted Mag wheels. I would think that since my car didn't have those options would help narrowing down the records. I bought the car new from Tom Peacock Chevrolet in Houston Texas. They have since changed ownership and all those records are gone. I have checked with all municipal courts where I got tickets (and there were plenty..lol) and none of those record exists (trying to get the plate number, which I do not have either). I have also researched the Chevrolet dealership where I had in serviced to no avail.

I spoke last week with GM media archive and they said all those records are on MicroFiche and they will not let anyone come in and search through them and that they will not search without a VIN. I spoke with the National Corvette Museum (Betty) this morning and she said they will let you come in for $20/hour and search through the records but, after researching my car color combination, the records I saw on the internet at 1981 Chevrolet Corvette C3 Production Statistics and Facts indicate my car, White exterior with Dark Blue Interior was built in St Louis and all those records were lost in a fire?? I researched the fire and the only reference I can locate about that fire indicated the fire was in 1973 BEFORE my car was built. So where are the records after 1973?

I am sure many of you have experienced this and I feel like Alice in Wonderland tumbling down the Rabbit hole! Any Help would be very much appreciated. I just want to go somewhere and search the records to narrow down possibilities of VIN's and then research all those VIN's. I feel since my car lacked two options that most of them had it might makes things easier. I have no issues with paying for access or whatever I need to do.

Thanks so much!

Robert

Somebody should call 'Betty' and tell her there was no fire at the St. Louis plant. This an old myth. The St. Louis records were destroyed at regular intervals as per corporate policy.

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Owner Information Center | Build Sheets | Documentation

Without a VIN, I'm not sure how you'd positively identify your own car even if it was sitting in front of you.

Well, if I can narrow down to a group of VINs, I assume I could use DMV or an online data provider like CarFax or something to research the history of each VIN to the original owner and one of them would be me. My last name is a rare name in the USA so most likely I am the only owner of a 1981 White Vette with those options and my last name. At least that is what I am thinking.

Thank you for your input.

...indicate my car, White exterior with Dark Blue Interior was built in St Louis...

Most 1981 Corvettes were built at St. Louis. Exterior and interior colors had nothing to do with it. The new plant at Bowling Green did not begin production until June, 1981. When did you purchase your car; can you recall the month? Month of production would possibly give you a VIN range, but that still remains a tall order. They averaged 120 cars a day at St. Louis.

...all those records were lost in a fire?...

I agree with Mike. There was never a fire at St. Louis. You can stop trying to find information about it.

...I feel since my car lacked two options that most of them had it might makes things easier...

Not really. GM did not keep records on options combinations so there would be no real way to find a white/blue 81 with standard wheels and no RWD.

Can the Texas DMV do a title search by owner name only without the VIN?

:thumb

Last edited:
Well, if I can narrow down to a group of VINs, I assume I could use DMV or an online data provider like CarFax or something to research the history of each VIN to the original owner and one of them would be me. My last name is a rare name in the USA so most likely I am the only owner of a 1981 White Vette with those options and my last name. At least that is what I am thinking.

Thank you for your input.

Privacy laws prevent gaining access to owner's names and addresses.

:w Robert & Welcome...

Have you looked at the L81VetteRegistry go to the drop down menu "Registry" and you can search by different options. The Registry has 1,644 records on file, but some may not be correct as some folks don't read instructions and put down what they want their cars to be, not necessarily how it left the factory :eyerole

But it is another source for ya... Good Luck

Bud

If you have not tried this yet. Your insurance agent at the time you owned your corvette may have some records?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom