Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Identifying a Fake

1996 LT4 Topic

Dime

Corvette
1991 White w/ red ZR-1
Alright fellas, I hope to get an lt4 soon; probably later rathe than soon, but some day none the less. I have been looking everywhere and have found plenty of lt4s. However, I was looking at a CE lt4 and noticed it was automatic; from what I have been told lt4s come as manual and manual only.
This got me to thinking who easy is it to make an lt1 appear to be an lt4. I know what an lt1 engine looks like and I know what an lt4 engine looks like. Is there any way of identifying lt4 to prove that it is an lt4 and not something other than an lt4, say a VIN number?

I would hate to get my dream car and find out later that it is... ummm... underpowered.;)

You are correct, the LT4 was only avaliable with the ZF-6 speed. There have been a couple LT4's converted to automatics, but they are few and far between. The VIN can easily ID the motor the car was built with. If the 8th digit is a "5", it is an LT4 car. If the digit is a "P", it is an LT1 car.

Check out the Corvette Action Center | Model Center | C4 | 1996 Corvette | 1996 Corvette Center for all sorts of info on the '96 Corvette!

:thumb Jason

I figured the VIN number would help tell the tale, thanks for the quick response.

Another very quick check to see if the engine is an LT4:

Remove oil cap on right (passenger side) valve cover.

Look into cover. The letters "LT4" will be very visible embossed on the surface of the head.

AFTER CHECKING THE LT4, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

There are / were LT4 upgrade kits readily available to convert LT1 cars to LT4 and this was done a lot more than converting LT4 manual cars to auto cars.

The most correct way is via the VIN since the LT4 head on converted LT1 motors will still display LT4 on it through the oil cap.

Look into cover. The letters "LT4" will be very visible embossed on the surface of the head.

Not to mention, when you got that cap popped does she have roller rockers, only the LT4 had them FROM THE FACTORY.

Lt4

If you're looking at one installed in a 1996 Corvette, the LT4 car has a tachometer with a 6300 rpm redline.

If you're looking at one installed in a 1996 Corvette, the LT4 car has a tachometer with a 6300 rpm redline.

Which can be switched out too! :) IMO... The VIN number is the best tale tell sign.. :thumb

Easiest way to tell without popping the hood is to look for a 6spd trans shifter in the interior. The sure-fire way is to look for the proper code in the VIN. If the code isn't there and/or if it's a auto, it ain't a factory LT4. Checking out the tach is another quick way to tell.

I've seen plenty of LT1 to LT4 conversions. They perform well like any other LT4, but they don't do anything for the value of the Vette.

Lt4

I bought this long block off Ebay a couple years ago and now wondering if its a fake.Pad on passenger front has this # VEO26659 .I have tried to find info and can not get it right.Anyone know by that #?:ugh

I bought this long block off Ebay a couple years ago and now wondering if its a fake.Pad on passenger front has this # VEO26659 .I have tried to find info and can not get it right.Anyone know by that #?:ugh
It can't be a 96 Corvette block if those are suppose to be the last 5 digits of the VIN......seeing the last VIN was 20536

I think it was supposedly a 95,it does not matter now.I just bought another 84 Vette in need of a heart transplant.Thats where it will go.Its now a 84 LT1

Lt4

There are 2 LT1 blocks, 1 being the 2-Bolt main LT1 block (used in the LT1 F-Bodies and Impalas), the other being the 4-Bolt main LT1 block (as used in the LT1 Corvettes, and various LT4 cars). They also all share the same 10125327 casting number. So really, there is no such thing as an "LT4 block"..."
:bash

Maybe I'm missing something (usually do!) but the question about making an LT1 appear to be an LT4 seems to be based on this:

"...I was looking at a CE lt4 and noticed it was automatic; from what I have been told lt4s come as manual and manual only."

I took that to mean that you think all 96 Collector Edition Vettes were LT4's, which is not the case. They were both LT1 and LT4. Here are the Collector Edition production numbers:

LT1 Coupe: 2,491
LT1 Convertible: 912
LT4 Coupe: 1,540
LT4 Convertible: 469

source: Corvette Action Center | Model Center | C4 | 1996 Corvette | 1996 Corvette Production Numbers

In 1996 ALL factory produced 6speed cars came with the LT4 engine...didn't matter if it was a CE, GS, base coupe or vert.

Actually, when ordering a new 1996 Corvette, (as I did) one needed to check the RPO code box for the engine first. If you checked LT1 engine, the software automatically chose the automatic transmission for your vehicle. If you checked LT4 engine, the computer would choose the six-speed manual transmission.

So, the proverbial question is: which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Or in Corvette parlance: which came first, the engine or the trans? :boogie

Y'all have a nice day, now! ;LOL;LOL;LOL

Actually, when ordering a new 1996 Corvette, (as I did) one needed to check the RPO code box for the engine first. If you checked LT1 engine, the software automatically chose the automatic transmission for your vehicle. If you checked LT4 engine, the computer would choose the six-speed manual transmission.

So, the proverbial question is: which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Or in Corvette parlance: which came first, the engine or the trans? :boogie

Y'all have a nice day, now! ;LOL;LOL;LOL

I'm gonna go with... engine! ;shrug :upthumbs :w

Not to mention, when you got that cap popped does she have roller rockers, only the LT4 had them FROM THE FACTORY.

Unless the heads were changed:upthumbs

I think the best way for sure is what was mentioned above by the Vin number:thumb

Great thread!! It helped me not making a mistake in buying a mod 96 C-4 advertised as a LT-4!! ;shrug I was seriously looking at another Corvette and I checked the VIn and sure enuf - it was a "p" not a "5". Thanx CAC!!:beer ... whew!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom