Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Idle adjustment on '84

elkabong

Corvette
1984 Red Coupe.
I am performing a minor tuneup (the plugs look original) on the 84 I just purchased. How do you adjust idle speed? Should I set the timing at 6 BTDC (spec) or bump it up to 8?

You should refer to the FAQ section of the CFI vault forum, there's articles there on how to do this kindof stuff...minimum air, balancing TBs...etc.

Bill

Corvette Fever magazine had an article not long ago that says most tuners are setting the timing back to 2º. They say it allows the engine to run smoother at idle as well as better gas milage.
I have read here and else where that it is best not to try to adjust the idle as this is a function of the ECM.

You do not adjust the idel...they welded that screw for a reason...you can clean and set the IAC (idel air control) and the TPS (throddle Posision Sensor) voltage

Thanks.

I'll check out the FAQ on the CFI forum. I saw the welded screw and said to myself "this sucks, gotta be a damned sensor or the compooper does the adjusting fer me" and "Sh** time to get a shop manual" :)

Any recommendations on the shop manual. Are there perferred types by the corvette folks "in the know"?

Manuals

There are three manuals I would recomend.

The "1984 Corvette Shop Manual"
The "1984 Corvette Eletrical Trouble shooting Shop Manual Supplement"
and the "Y" Manual. (Parts and Illustration Catalog.

All are available from online sources. (ebay, amazon...)

I use all three frequently.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom