Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Idle at Park and at Drive

MARCUS VETTE

Corvette
1986 c4 BLACK
Hi

Can someone tell me why my idle at drive position are OK but when at (P) parking position, the idle is rough, (up and down), exactly like a leak vacuum.

What can cause this difference? or what's happening at parking position that would create a vacuum.

Marc

rough idle - vacuum leaks

For what it is worth, my 95 coupe changed so much for the better when I accidently found a vacuum leak at the EGR valve fitting. The rubber angle fitting in the hose at the EGR was rotted, loose, and would leak vacuum intermittently. Since replacing the vacuum hose fitting it changed the rough idle, acceleration, and hesitation by quite a bit. It may sound crazy, but the key chime reminder even now has the original full strength sound. When the vacuum leak existed, volume of the chime was about 1/2. Go figure. I do not own a vacuum pump tester yet, but this whole area of the engine is too important.

Did you check for vacuum leaks?

If you didn't find any, you can approach the problem two ways: 1) diagnose a problem with idle stability using the information in the Service Manual or 2) you can just start replacing parts, in which case I'd start by removing the throttle body, cleaning it, including the IAC bypass then replacing the IAC.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom