Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Idle issues

Wajulia

Corvette
1981 White
I just rebuilt an E4mE (1981 CCC carb). Put it on the car, started right up, choke engaged , fast idle perfect, kicked off when it warmed up then stumbled and died, increased the idle speed, 1100 out of gear, 900 in gear and it idles pretty good (a small skip every 5 seconds). Took it out on the road, great throttle response, great transition from primary to secondary, drives great.

Bring the rpm down to under 1000 and it stumbles and stalls.

Checked all the vaccuum ports, all look good (the carb I replaced it with ran great at idle). Seemed to be idling a little rich ( eyes stinging meter) so I turned the idle screws in to about 2 turns out for each, same issue

No check engine light

Any thoughts as to what to look at next?

What is your dwell meter saying when you lower the rpm?

Greetings Peter

Well, I have NEVER been able to get the Dwell to reach 30 on either carb. It gets to about 24 and seems to stall there.

I did richen the idle screws and got the car to idle at 900 rpm, about 700 rpm in gear, but it still skips more than I would like. The off idle performance is still superb. I will keep trying to adjust the idle mixture screws and the air horn and see if I can get the skip to go away.

Mine stall at 6 degrees or under.

I think you already did this but when you remove the aircleaner and then look at the dwell meter is there a change or not? And when you place your hand over the choke valve (less air intake) does it go richer?

I know on stock carb's will not be easy to get the dwell right. The idle screws are just to restricted to open enough. But as I see you never get over 24 degrees? that would mean your's is running a little rich and not lean as most E4ME's do :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom