Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Ignition shields

Jabby

Corvette
1968 roadster
Hi All,

I'm trying to put my '68 back to original...well mostly. I had about half of the ignition shields from the previous owner (327/350hp). I purchased the rest from Corvette Central. All fit nicely with the acception of the left front shield. My temperature sensor is in this location so I would expect a hole in the shield there. That's also what the GM assembly manual shows (p401). The one I received from CC does not have a hole. They say the sensor should be in the intake and no hole in the shield. My sensor wire won't reach the intake and there's no access whole in the intake. The wire looks original and includes a heat resisting "sock" as if originally intended to be there. Any thoughts?

Thanks. I'll have to post the casting number later tonight...I'm out of town.
Jabby

...My temperature sensor is in this location so I would expect a hole in the shield there. That's also what the GM assembly manual shows (p401). The one I received from CC does not have a hole. They say the sensor should be in the intake and no hole in the shield...

They are wrong. Temp sensor on the '68s is in the head where you have it; not in the manifold.

:)

In order to carry over the '67 intake-mounted sending unit, you'd need a '67 intake manifold, and they only accepted a Holley carb; the '68 intake (for a Q-Jet) didn't have the tapped hole for a sending unit. The left front shield should have the hole in it for the sending unit.

:beer

That's the correct number for a 300 or 350 HP and as John pointed out there is no hole for a temp sender. Other reliable sources have confirmed that the sender moved to the LH head in '68, so you need the shield with the hole in it.

Corvette Central is usually pretty sharp on this kind of stuff, not this time though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom