Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm a bit insulted

I dont worry about what "they" say.. I have a Corvette, most others dont... :D

And it's not like they picked a 26 year old Mazda/Daewoo/Toyota/Fiat/BMW/MB etc etc to rebuild.. ;)

Show me any 26 year old car that turns heads and makes them eat it. Well, most 26 year old cars are soda can's now.. ;LOL

:w

That's how I always felt about it!

"Show me any 26 year old car that turns heads and makes them eat it. Well, most 26 year old cars are soda can's now.. "

Makes me feel even better, mine just turned 40 this year !!!!!!

I've been a member of the NCRS for so long that I remember when we allowed the 1963 to 1967 Corvettes to join. At the time there was a huge outcry that they weren't "real" Corvettes. The old straight-axle crowd thought it was was a mistake to let these car be judged when everyone knew they were just a cheap way to get into the Corvette hobby.

Then when I wrote my book on the 1968 to 1982 Corvettes people asked me why in the world I would bother writing a book about a Corvette that was just another cheap way to get into the Corvette hobby. Remember, in the last gas crisis (1976) you could buy big block Corvettes for $1,500.

How to Restore and Modify Your Corvette, 1968-1982 went on to be one of the best selling Corvette books ever. Obviously someone cared.

Just drive the damn cars and enjoy them. We certainly don't need to get into the who "Best Era" discussion. On the other hand it will never go away.

btw - Which would you rather have? A '96 C4 or a '97 C5? That's the next big controversy.

Richard Newton

How to Restore and Modify Your Corvette, 1968-1982

Ultimate Garage Handbook

I've been a member of the NCRS for so long that I remember when we allowed the 1963 to 1967 Corvettes to join. At the time there was a huge outcry that they weren't "real" Corvettes. The old straight-axle crowd thought it was was a mistake to let these car be judged when everyone knew they were just a cheap way to get into the Corvette hobby.

Then when I wrote my book on the 1968 to 1982 Corvettes people asked me why in the world I would bother writing a book about a Corvette that was just another cheap way to get into the Corvette hobby. Remember, in the last gas crisis (1976) you could buy big block Corvettes for $1,500.

How to Restore and Modify Your Corvette, 1968-1982 went on to be one of the best selling Corvette books ever. Obviously someone cared.

Just drive the damn cars and enjoy them. We certainly don't need to get into the who "Best Era" discussion. On the other hand it will never go away.

btw - Which would you rather have? A '96 C4 or a '97 C5? That's the next big controversy.

Richard Newton

How to Restore and Modify Your Corvette, 1968-1982

Ultimate Garage Handbook

Richard,

I have your book, and I thank you for gathering your observations on this book. Do you plan to write a book on C4's?

GerryLP:cool

Welcome to the forum!

I enjoyed your book, and your right, the C-3's are still affordable and they are the ones that you see being driven.
Have a great day! PG.

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. There are many days when I wish I had the car in the book back.

Richard Newton

c3's forever

Everyone has a Year that somehow touched them! I appreciate Mid-years, but having driven one I wouldn't want to own one. On the other hand there is no question many C4-C6's Drive better than my C3. But I wanted something RETRO but not "too". As far as the HP Goes I tweeked Mine a little because the stock 200 was not to my liking. But like my golf game. . . my HP is "Better than some, not as good as others".

I think it is ignorant & just plain RUDE to refer to anyones car as a "Bottom Feeder", Like fish who servive off _hit from the bottom of the tank. We all now what they ment, and Magazines are trying to sell copies, but surley there's a better way to put it!

my .02

by this:

Follow along as Mid America Motorworks and Corvette Enthusiast Magazine starts with a bottom feeder C3 Corvette and turns it into a classy daily driver! The C3 (1968-82) Corvette gives enthusiasts an incredible opportunity to take a car they appreciate and turn it into anything from a stock restoration to a full blown hot rod. You can buy a C3 for as low as $4,000-$5,000, invest a minimal in upgrades, and enjoy a world class sports car that can still be your daily driver. Check out the articles below for all the details on this fun project!

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-1-359.html

Well, the C3s ARE bottom feeders. If they were not, they would overheat!

Everyone who feels insulted, you picked the car and you should have known what you were picking. When you are called for low power, you didn't know what you had, or was it only because someone else mentioned it to you, that you were insulted?

This thread was started about like a hissy fit. "You or some people don't like my <200 HP Corvette, you tell me about it", and I'm insulted. "Bottom Feeder" ranks right up there with, "Honey, do these Jeans make my bottom look fat?" No correct answer or comment.

If it bothers you, do the 'manly thing' (can I say that) and put a 383 in it. I am tired of looking at all the victim hood! My character is strong enough, that I don't need fawning over my choice of cars to feel secure.

Yes, I do have a aluminum headed '76 383 that I built, along with a 4-speed ST10, chambered exhaust, headers, hi-rise RPM intake, etc. Jeep steering is 'work in progress'. My car manhood is assured:L

oceangal
user_offline.gif

My Corvette(s):
1982 silver/claret

clear.gif

Ii could be that I took it in a way that wasn't as the author intended. I see C3 & bottom feeder in the same sentence and it just rubs me the wrong way.

i was thinking about the whole bottom feeding fish thing....... my plecos(bottom feeders) in my fish tanks arethe oldest fish i have.... even in the tank with the maneaters! so i i guess it might be true, nothing can kill them and they live forever:D

Over the many years I have had it, my "bottom feeding" C3 vette has successfully eaten it's competition, to the tune of 14 trophies on my wall so far. Soooo, if mine is a bottom feeder, and according to another post, bottom feeders typically eat the _hit on the bottom, thennnnn, (as Mr. Spock would say) it's only logical to say what category my competition must be in. How's that for logic.
:beer

In reality, sharks feed on everything in the food chain, at every depth of the sea, and never go away hungry.

I think the article was referring to the vettes that are garden variety... not in mint condition. C3 of course is the most affordable Corvettes when you consider the lack of horse power in the mid to late 70s and early 80s. That of course can be remedied by relplacing the stock motor with a screamer. To me the C3 is bar far my favorite generation.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom