Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm having a problem installing new carpet.

Maymyvetteliveforevr

Corvette
1975 Dark Blue Coupe
I've already installed sound and heat barrier, but I’m having a very difficult time installing the rear carpet, which is where I'm starting. I purchased the carpet from Wilcox, and just can't seem to get the 2 side carpet pieces to fit. It is so far off that I don't know where to start. I was told to try and keep then in the sun for a bit before installing them but that didn't help out much. It's a 75 coupe.

Can someone give me some advice?

Need a little info. What type of trouble are you having?? Not fitting right:too big, too small? Too stiff to shape?

1. It's not fitting properly, (doesn't contour to the fiberglass)
2. too large, (but the carpet can be cut)
3. to stiff to shape, (when I left it in the sun it helped but not enough to make it conform).
4. Doesn't seem to have the right shape.

Hope this info helps identify my problem better.

Here's a link to the install i did on my '79.

http://69.253.166.197/page1/page104/page75/page75.html

If it doesn't fit exactly right...JOIN the crowd..LOL... Mine took a few weeks to do, although I would only work on it an hour or two a night. It came out looking fine, but my back was way offfffffffff.......I had to cut in certain areas to make the carpet lay correctly. Take your time.....IF the carpet is too short, thats one thing....I bought mine from Al Knoch.....

Ask any ? u like?

Andy

Maymyvetteliveforevr said:
1. It's not fitting properly, (doesn't contour to the fiberglass)
2. to large, (but the carpet can be cut)
3. to still to shape, (when I left it in the sun it helped but not enough to make it conform.
4. Doesn't seem to have the right shape.

Hope this info helps identify my problem better.

When I put mine in, I lined up the back corners and monkeyed with it from there. It took a lot of cutting to get it to fit everywhere as it should. I was kind of surprised. When I bought custom cut carpet, I expected a much closer fit.

Bob Chadwick said:
When I put mine in, I lined up the back corners and monkeyed with it from there. It took a lot of cutting to get it to fit everywhere as it should. I was kind of surprised. When I bought custom cut carpet, I expected a much closer fit.

Same here! These "custom" carpet kits are cut larger than needed to fit a wide variety of years. It takes a lot of time to get it in right. The side panel is especially hard to get in. Just keep fighting with it!

Andy, thanks for the link, I just can't seem to get it to fit even to a point where I can cut it. I'm almost afraid to just in case I have it in the wrong position.

Bob Chadwick, I've tried lining it up with the back but I need another 2 hands because the front part doesn't stay in position when I try that. Again I have no problem cutting the carpet but it's the ol' measure twice cut once principle.

sfallison, I agree when you say they're meant to fit many years, I just didn't think the years were that far off. I keep fighting with it but the carpet keeps winning.

I'll try again this weekend if it doesn't rain. Thanks everyone, and keep the suggestions coming.

The only problem i had fitting my carpet was under the kick panels...i cracked one in the process!:mad

My thought was that i had to thick of underlayment and when the carpet was added, there just wasnt much room for error...I used the foil/bubble wrap stuff and also a juke underlayment...like thin carpet..for added protection.

When all was said and done, i have awesome looking carpet, the heat takes awhile longer to get thru to my legs...but the real unexpected benefit of my work was sound proofing! I have a loud exhaust and it was hard to talk at highway speeds...key word is WAS...now its just right.

Take your time, whats the rush right? do it right and have no regrets, your in the right place for help here at the CAC...:_rock

Chas

I've installed many carpets from Wilcox without any problems. Take your old piece you took out and match the direction of the install to the new one. Those side pieces are complicated to figure the direction they go in but once you figure it out you'll wonder what the problem was ! They are pre formed and can go in a couple ways but only one correct one. Normally not any or very little trimming is necessary on the sides.Find the front of the insert which has the cut in it for going behind the seat and tucks into the groove between the rear compartments and the door jam. The rest will fit and lay in place after that. Hope this helps, Fred

Fred's Vettes said:
I've installed many carpets from Wilcox without any problems. Take your old piece you took out and match the direction of the install to the new one. Those side pieces are complicated to figure the direction they go in but once you figure it out you'll wonder what the problem was ! They are pre formed and can go in a couple ways but only one correct one. Normally not any or very little trimming is necessary on the sides.Find the front of the insert which has the cut in it for going behind the seat and tucks into the groove between the rear compartments and the door jam. The rest will fit and lay in place after that. Hope this helps, Fred

I never saved the old carpet so I have nothing to compare it to. I have checked the carpet many times and have found no "cut in it for going behind the seat" As far as I can see, there are 4 different ways each end carpet can go and I just can't seem to find the right way. All I can do is make an educated guess and cut. The only concern I have is that the so called educated guess, doesn't fit well.

Check the new carpet for the cut outs for the shoulder belts in the jute backing. Line them up ith the belt mounts and that should steer you in the correct orientation. Fred

Fred's Vettes said:
Check the new carpet for the cut outs for the shoulder belts in the jute backing. Line them up ith the belt mounts and that should steer you in the correct orientation. Fred

Ok, I get it, there should be spots on the underside that doesn't have jute backing. This should line up with the items you mentioned. I'll give that a try when I have a chance.

Thanks

i know the folks from al knoch are members here. now might be a great time for them to lend a hand! perhaps you could send them a PM and get a public reply for all of us about to embark on a similar project, to share.

srs244 said:
i know the folks from al knoch are members here. now might be a great time for them to lend a hand! perhaps you could send them a PM and get a public reply for all of us about to embark on a similar project, to share.

Great idea, unfortunatly I purchased the carpet from Wilcox and not Al Knocks, so I don't know how much he could, or would help.

maybe you can have it installed professionally?

AGVI said:
maybe you can have it installed professionally?

Yes that is an option but at the moment the car is not plated and I normally install everything myself. As it stands now I have 50 % off the carpet installed and 25 % off the seat covers done. It's work in progress.

Thanks for the response AGVI and nice car..

Maymyvetteliveforevr said:
Thanks for the response AGVI and nice car..

How do you know what it looks like?

AGVI said:
How do you know what it looks like?

I just rubbed my eyes and presto..........I looked at what I was riding in. Remember............your passenger............you really do need to go back on your meds. And I do realise that your Vette isn't posted on THIS forum.

I had a real pain with the carpet behind the seats.. I went to Corvette's of Dallas a few times and looked at some of the C3's they had. Also, check out a local Corvette Club in your area. Most of them will help (and promise cold beer, they might do it for ya!).

sfallison said:
I had a real pain with the carpet behind the seats.. I went to Corvette's of Dallas a few times and looked at some of the C3's they had. Also, check out a local Corvette Club in your area. Most of them will help (and promise cold beer, they might do it for ya!).

I hope I don't step on any toe's or offend anyone, but here in Ontario, it's rare that "Most of them will help (and promise cold beer, they might do it for ya!)." I made another attempt at it and came out with the same problems. It just seems to stiff, (even after leaving it in the sun for sometime). and won't come close to contouring to the sides.

I'm stuck at this point since I'm concerned about triming it untill I get the best fit.

Thanks for your response.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom