Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm stumped. Won't start. has wierd clicking sound. Help!

87blackroxi

So I haven't driven the vette for 4 days now and jump in it this morning and It won't start. completely dead no volts.
I get home tonight and try to jump it after it charges up to about 12.8 volts and it doesn't even turn over. It makes some wierd clicking sound. Like
machine gun fire. very rapid.
So I check the fuses, all good. I remove the battery cables and clean the cables and terminal, there was very little corrosion. I look over everything and it looks normal. So I get it back up to 12.8 volts and when I turn the key the same thing happens, machine gun fire. No turning over at all. It sounds like a clicking sound very rapid. I'm stumped!
I had my lady come out so she could start the car and so I could hover over the engine to try to figure where the noise is coming from. At first it sounds like from the starter. then it sounds like the bottom of the distributor. Now I'm lost.
I replaced the starter about 6 months ago so it's practically new, went with A/C delco replacement. Also about 10 months ago I replaced the plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. I still have the stock coil. One thing that didn't get replaced was the little thing that is about a half inch long, maybe 1/4 around and is held in by a spring. I can't remember what it's called but it's inside the distributor. when i replaced the cap and rotor, the new one that came with it broke I am now remembering I used the old one and never followed up to get a new one. I have no idea if it's relevant but I just want to try to give as much info as possible.
Then after disconnecting the jumper cables the car was dead again.

I need major help on this one guys and gals!!!!

87blackroxi said:
So I haven't driven the vette for 4 days now and jump in it this morning and It won't start. completely dead no volts.
I get home tonight and try to jump it after it charges up to about 12.8 volts and it doesn't even turn over. It makes some wierd clicking sound. Like
machine gun fire. very rapid.
So I check the fuses, all good. I remove the battery cables and clean the cables and terminal, there was very little corrosion. I look over everything and it looks normal. So I get it back up to 12.8 volts and when I turn the key the same thing happens, machine gun fire. No turning over at all. It sounds like a clicking sound very rapid. I'm stumped!
I had my lady come out so she could start the car and so I could hover over the engine to try to figure where the noise is coming from. At first it sounds like from the starter. then it sounds like the bottom of the distributor. Now I'm lost.
I replaced the starter about 6 months ago so it's practically new, went with A/C delco replacement. Also about 10 months ago I replaced the plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. I still have the stock coil. One thing that didn't get replaced was the little thing that is about a half inch long, maybe 1/4 around and is held in by a spring. I can't remember what it's called but it's inside the distributor. when i replaced the cap and rotor, the new one that came with it broke I am now remembering I used the old one and never followed up to get a new one. I have no idea if it's relevant but I just want to try to give as much info as possible.
Then after disconnecting the jumper cables the car was dead again.

I need major help on this one guys and gals!!!!
How old is your battery? If its shot you may not be able to jump it.
Were the terminals hot when the batter went dead? If not I would bet it's your battery and not a stuck solonoid. Pull the battery and have it load tested!

MIke

It's actually AMPS that you're looking for. If you're positive it's not the starter then as mentioned......have the battery load tested. A new starter doesn't necessarily mean it's a GOOD one.

New battery this past summer someitme in july. But I will still get it tested saturday.
Any ideas on the rapid clicking noise?

I had the same type problem with my 95. When I would try to start the car, the interior light would go dim and all of the relays would start clicking. I installed a new battery with the same result. I checked the cables and they looked good until I pulled the terminal bolts from the rubber jackets. The inside of the jacket was full of crud. $2.00 for new terminals and a baking soda rinse for the jackets and all was well. The final result was the correct voltage, however, not enough current could flow through the corroded terminals anymore.

Brett

1995 RedVette said:
I had the same type problem with my 95. When I would try to start the car, the interior light would go dim and all of the relays would start clicking. I installed a new battery with the same result. I checked the cables and they looked good until I pulled the terminal bolts from the rubber jackets. The inside of the jacket was full of crud. $2.00 for new terminals and a baking soda rinse for the jackets and all was well. The final result was the correct voltage, however, not enough current could flow through the corroded terminals anymore.

Brett

That's what I thought it might be too (cables) but they looked pretty good. I cleaned them enyway but did no good.

Here's a thought... the purple wire going to the selenoid. If somewhere in that circuit there is a bad connection the selenoid my not get enough current to get it fully engaged.If a wire was worn nearly through or a connection
corroded you would get that result. Can you get at the connection on the selenoid ? get a 12 gauge wire about a ft long.Use a jumper cable from the pos. battery terminal connect the wire to the other end and jump it to the selenoid terminal. if it cranks you have it isolated. You will have to have the car on stands or a lift to do this.

Glenn
:w

nyernga said:
It's actually AMPS that you're looking for. If you're positive it's not the starter then as mentioned......have the battery load tested. A new starter doesn't necessarily mean it's a GOOD one.

AMEN to that :W

87blackroxi said:
New battery this past summer someitme in july. But I will still get it tested saturday.
Any ideas on the rapid clicking noise?

OK, so the battery is a couple of months old, you did not mention this in your initial report. This probably means it is not the battery however I would still load test the battery, since you said it went dead. However, if it was reading dead from the cars dash and not from a voltmeter on the battery itself you may have a high resistance connection or a bad wire.
Did you replace the solonoid when you replaced the starter?
If the answer is yes, check for loose, corroded and high resistance in your battery cables, starter solonoid starter wiring.

Often a starter will click when there is not enough current to hold the soloniod closed so that the starter can run. However, a faulty solonoid may provide the same symptoms.

i usually get that clicking for a dead battery.....Could have beena defective battery...Ive had it happen before..

atmmac said:
i usually get that clicking for a dead battery.....Could have beena defective battery...Ive had it happen before..

I agree that is why I still say load test the sucker.

My vote is with GWinter...that wire running to the solenoid is near the exhaust and becomes brittle and corroded...and its almost 20 years old.

Some very good thoughts fellas! I will definately have the battery load tested on Saturday. But I think we may be onto something with the solenoid wire. I did put a new solenoid in with the starter but that wire probably is still original! So there's a start. The downside is I can't touch it until late saturday. I have an appointment Saturday morning with my jeweler about an engagement ring :ugh

the little thing in the distributor is what carries all the juice from the coil to the dist rotor , the old is probably just as good as a brand new one..did u put dielectric grease on the rubber washer?

all the above is not related to ur clicking noise--thats insufficent current flow at the starter--solenoid pulls in,current flows into starter windings pulling solenoid supply below min,solenoid drops out but now again has pull-in cause the starter is off line, untill the solenoid makes again=click/click/click.
check BOTH ends of bat cables for clean & tite...then try another bat...then hook a vom (meter) to solenoid purple wire term....little things like this just need calm approach--difficult in ur present state of affairs--best of luck 2 ya.

JonM said:
RIP...The man is on a suicide mission...;) was nice knowing ya...:L

Thanks. It's the beginning of the end!:L

There must be something in the air in Connecticut that makes people do crazy things. Considering I was just up there in November might have something to do with my insanity!!!!!;)

And I guess at this point everyone is in consensus that the purple wire is the culprit. I'm on it tomorrow!

I put my bet on the solenoid being bad. Have had that clicking on other cars I've owned and that was the problem.

I'd Be check'n all the ground's Too!!! Fla is hard on ground's!! Salt Spray,HighHeat and Humidity!!:upthumbs junk!!

It may be a new starter but I had a new Delco go out 5 months after install...my 2 cents

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom