Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Import versus USA rotors, that is the question???

80convertible

Corvette
1973 converted to 1980 custom convertible
I need to replace front rotors along with calipers, pads and possibly the bearings. I am also in the process of restoring my convertible top frame and getting new top installed. The story here is $$$$. I am way over budget already and the car has 30 other things to fix. I can get imported rotors from JC Whitney for $41.00 each versus Advance Auto which are made in USA for $70.00 each. I know everything being equal that the made in USA rotors are better, but would made in Taiwan rotors work on a seldom driven vette that is never raced? I figure many of the imports already use foreign steel for rotors anyway. At the most I drive about 500-800 miles a year and always for recreation, no racing. I do plan on using really good pads such as performance friction. Would like some thoughts. Right now I need to save as much as I can but don't ever want to compromise safety.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,
Don't do it! In my line of work I've had to use the imported "white box" rotors. At first glance they look good but once you spin them on a lathe it takes quite a bit of machining to make them true.
Mike

boy do I know about over-budget!

Hey Jim,
Have you tried pricing the Corvette catalogs?
I try to always buy quality. I know it will be difficult for you to justify spending so much on such a seldom driven car, but cheaper usually costs you more in the end. Good luck.
Silver

Only one place to go...Vette Brakes & Products. Seriously these guys rule. Masekon (sp) Brake (michigan? Illinois?) has done right by me as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom