Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

In Plain English Please

samborskij

Corvette
1994 White Coupe, 2004 Spiral Gray Coupe
I have a 94 LTI, %-Spd and am curious about something, after setting overnight, when I crank my vehicle up for the first time for that day, should at least one of the Electric Cooling Fans operate at that time ?

Or do they both have a particular temperature they come on at ?

I know one comes on at 228 degrees and cools motor down to about 213, then shuts off.

I know that both operate when A/C is turned on.

So, again should one fan be running at all times (even at first crank of the day) ?
Sam

I have a '94 Auto but in plain English, No, niether of my fans run at startup with a cold motor. The air pump buzzes for a while, that's it.

No, there is no reason for either fan to come on at a cold start-up. They are both electronically controlled through the engine temperature and the Powertrain Control Module (commonly called the PCM!).

The temperature of the engine and whether or not the A/C is on will determine which fan is activated. One, the other or both.

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

more on fans

so,
-we have established that at cold start-up neither fan operates.
-once the temperture reaches 228 degrees or there about the primary fan kicks on and begins to lower temperature (hopefully).
-if you turn on the A/C both fans operate.

-what conditions cause the secondary fan to operate aside from the A/C being turned on ?

samborskij said:
so,
-once the temperture reaches 228 degrees or there about the primary fan kicks on and begins to lower temperature (hopefully).

-what conditions cause the secondary fan to operate aside from the A/C being turned on ?

If I'm not mistaken, if the coolant temp continues to rise past 232 the second will come on to help cool things down. I'm not sure what temperature the second fan will turn off though.

Brett

thank you all

Just got back from a short trip to Viginia. Thank you all for your assistance.

-once the temperture reaches 228 degrees or there about the primary fan kicks on and begins to lower temperature.
-if you disconnect the relay for the primary fan when it coes on, the secondary fan will start at about 232 degrees and begin to lower the temperature.

I see where there is talk about people installing switches so as to be able to turn on what I would imagine is the secondary fan as desired. It seems to be a simple matter of making it so the throwing the switch would shunt the power around the relay to the fan.

Any thoughts on this in respect to whether it should or shouldn't be done ?

Mid America Motorworks and others sale proms that will change the fan settings for you. Here is a link, http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=3.139.850 since your's is a 94 and up you will have to use a hand held programmer to reprogram the fan temp cut on/off. You should also swap the factory 195 degree thermostat with a 160.

Brett

SAMBO! THE AIR PUMP COMES ON TILL THE CAT IS UP TO HEAT. MAYBE THAT IS WHAT UR HEARING, REGARDS-Z

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom