Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Installed a new 383 a week ago

76 Sting

Installed a new 383 a week ago all I can say is wow!!!

I bought it from Derebery performance in TX. Fortunately I received the very first sample off the assembly line as a test bed for the company. I was using their other 350 create engine, but wanted to beef it up naturally a little more before adding the NOS. The old engine came in with a peak rating of 429 FT LBS of TQ @ 4000 RPM and 428 HP @ 5800 RPM.
The new 383 came in with a peak rating of 483 FT LBS of TQ @ 3700 RPM and 472 HP also @ 6000 RPM. I was a little skeptical regarding the increase here, but OMG this is pretty crazy. I can drive 35 MPH floor it (automatic too) and seriously smoke the tires for a good 20ft…absolutely nuts and this is without NOS. I can see that I am going to need some drag slicks real soon. With the NOS the crank numbers will amount to 608 FT LBS of TQ and 597 HP. I CAN’T WAIT TO HIT THE TRACK!! Does anyone have an idea what the 1/8 or 1/4 would look like?

I do not believe the engine is for sale yet, but they are close to releasing it. The price of the new 383 internally balanced, blue printed, warranted is approx $4000. If anyone is realy interested i can find out when they are releasing it, just let me know.

I actually visited their location since I live in TX and all I can say is what a group of folks. I was invited in by the owner (Leon) to take a tour of the shop and join the dyno testing of my new engine the very day I picked it up.

Here are the spec’s for the engine

383 4 bolt internally balanced, blue printed
Valve lift:.530 (int/exh): 234deg/2849deg Dur @ .050
Rocker arms- 1.6:1 ratio complete Hyd Roller
Cylinder heads- Ported Vortec
Compression ratio 10.3:1
Carb Holley 750 DP
MSD Pro-Billet E-Curve disty
NOS PowerShot 125 hp
3.55 rear gears
TCI 10” Breakaway stall

:beer

Sounds great man. Yah Im interested. For the past 5 months Ive been planning my motor, looking at all different options. I had finally decided on Smeding Performance's 383 stroker. Hot Rod and Chevy Power magazines both use Smedings motors for test articles, they are supposed to be very good. What Im looking at is their 383 stroker priced at $5,495. Here are the stats on it:

440 lb/ft of torque @4,000 rpm,plus the rest of the curve is awesome...at only 2,000 rpms you get 350 lb/ft of torque.
440 hp @ 5,500 rpm

for the complete specs check it out at http://smedingperformance.com/..

But anyways, im definitely interested in your 383 because its more in my price range. Is it a stroker? When will it be up for sale, and is there a website for the business?

80vetteL82:W

I actually think I found their website. http://www.dpmpower.us/smallblock.php , is this it? I like that 383 with 420hp and 460tq for only $3995. Im not planning on really racing it much, just mostly street, so that seems to fit my needs more. What do you think.

I actually think I found their website. http://www.dpmpower.us/smallblock.php , is this it? I like that 383 with 420hp and 460tq for only $3995. Im not planning on really racing it much, just mostly street, so that seems to fit my needs more. What do you think.

You found them and that would be a very stout engine to put in. Make sure you have at least a 2300-2500 stall converter to match up to it.

Look at the other unit $2995 a thousand less and 400 HP and 430 TQ. That is the engine that I just removed and replaced a very good deal and nobody can beat that price, nobody.

Installed a new 383 a week ago all I can say is wow!!!

I bought it from Derebery performance in TX. Fortunately I received the very first sample off the assembly line as a test bed for the company. I was using their other 350 create engine, but wanted to beef it up naturally a little more before adding the NOS. The old engine came in with a peak rating of 429 FT LBS of TQ @ 4000 RPM and 428 HP @ 5800 RPM.
The new 383 came in with a peak rating of 483 FT LBS of TQ @ 3700 RPM and 472 HP also @ 6000 RPM. I was a little skeptical regarding the increase here, but OMG this is pretty crazy. I can drive 35 MPH floor it (automatic too) and seriously smoke the tires for a good 20ft…absolutely nuts and this is without NOS. I can see that I am going to need some drag slicks real soon. With the NOS the crank numbers will amount to 608 FT LBS of TQ and 597 HP. I CAN’T WAIT TO HIT THE TRACK!! Does anyone have an idea what the 1/8 or 1/4 would look like?

I do not believe the engine is for sale yet, but they are close to releasing it. The price of the new 383 internally balanced, blue printed, warranted is approx $4000. If anyone is realy interested i can find out when they are releasing it, just let me know.

I actually visited their location since I live in TX and all I can say is what a group of folks. I was invited in by the owner (Leon) to take a tour of the shop and join the dyno testing of my new engine the very day I picked it up.

Here are the spec’s for the engine

383 4 bolt internally balanced, blue printed
Valve lift:.530 (int/exh): 234deg/2849deg Dur @ .050
Rocker arms- 1.6:1 ratio complete Hyd Roller
Cylinder heads- Ported Vortec
Compression ratio 10.3:1
Carb Holley 750 DP
MSD Pro-Billet E-Curve disty
NOS PowerShot 125 hp
3.55 rear gears
TCI 10” Breakaway stall

I just bought my 350 from them and went down to their shop to watch it get dynoed and they even installed my carb and dist for the dyno and adjused everything. Great company, they were telling me about the motor they had given you to test for them, glad to hear it is working well

Howd you like the $2,995 350ci w/400hp and 430tq? I was thinking maybe settle in the middle with the $3,500 350ci with 420hp and 460tq. Also, whats the benefits between a dual plane and single plane intake manifold?

Howd you like the $2,995 350ci w/400hp and 430tq? I was thinking maybe settle in the middle with the $3,500 350ci with 420hp and 460tq. Also, whats the benefits between a dual plane and single plane intake manifold?

As long as your willing to spend the extra $1000 go for it. Another option, spend the extra $1000 on a small set up of NOS for only $500 and you can end up with 525HP and 555 TQ:D . You absolutly want the dual plane if your focus is the street. If you plan on racing it more than street driving then go with a single. You will make more HP with the single, but it will not be that freindly on the street.

Alright great, thanks for all the advice. Im definitely going to seriously consider these guys. There prices are definitely right, but Ill probably contact them to get more info. My other two choices are Smeding, or T and L. If I had the money I would definitely go with Smeding, but they are just so pricey(their 383 stroker puts out 440hp and 440tq but costs $5,499, the nice thing is the peak power is at very low RPMs). The thing I like best about Smeding is they use brand new blocks. T and L also seems good, and their prices, like Derebery, are very reasonable. Im going to have to give it serious thought, and hopefully by spring I will have a descision and be able to get it done. Along with the motor Im going to be doing a 700r4 tranny, cause I just put a new 3.70 rear in so I desperately need O.D. lol.

Thanks again,
80VetteL82:W

Don't know about PRICE, but I do know VALUE.

Purchased a 383 short block from theenginestore, built my way. They are on E-Bay, but I talked directly to Kent as to how I wanted the short block built, and what brand parts I wanted.

Checked the block when I received it. It was dead nuts on to what their spec sheet said.

Stroker has been installed for the last year, and I could not be happier.

They are a pleasure to work with, they even put up with a PIA like me. I kept changing specs and part brands.

I believe they were fairly priced, for the amount of machine work I requested, and the brand of parts I wanted.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom