Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Installed Petronix last weekend..

W

wolf_walker

It would have been easy if not for the stinking resistor wire in the points ignition. I could not locate a single other circuit that I felt like pulling power off of that would switch with the key and not go out when the starter engaged. I know it will suposidly work with the lower voltage, but I didnt perticularly want it that way, so I ended up droping the column and hunting around for the wire off the switch before it goes into the resistor. Why couldnt they just use an external resistor like Mopar? :(

Also shimmed the play out of the distributer, there was plenty, tach drive seems to still work, have to hunt up a new cable for it sometime.

In retrospect I probibly could have used the 12v off the starter in when it's engaged and also another on with the switch line, but I like the single wire method better overall. Just wish I hadent spent an hour or two hunting for first a correctly acting circuit, and then the resistor wire. Live and learn.

Works well, got the ignitor II and the matching coil, starts more readily, less of a bog when the secondaries are opened up. Still feels like the timing could use some re-curving, even though it's stock.

Good deal for the money, no more stinkin points..

Now, only 4,682 things lift to fix......

Oh please don't tell me this is what I have to look forward to :( I have only had the car for 4 weeks, and so far we have had to replace and "fine tune" a few things. Husband is at home right now replacing the rear parking brake shoes and springs, and has had to make 2 trips today to the Corvette shop 45 minutes from home. He is tired of hearing me complain that I haven't been able to drive it these past few "Sunny California" days.

~laughter~ Unfourtunatly older vette's are like any other in that they tend to need this and that replaced, more unfourtunatly still is that they seem to be more prone to problems in some areas than others. It can all be fixed, is fun if you dont get to stressed over it, and the cars are a joy to drive when everything's as it should be.

The petronix kit isnt something it "had" to have, points work just fine for stock and mild performance applications, but need pretty regular maintanance, the petronix kit dosent. :)

Note that if yours is post 74 you dont have points anyway, GM got an electronic ignition setup running as soon as it could it seems..

Wolf:
Congrats ... you'll be glad you went to the trouble ... good job!

Trixie:
I'm sincerely not being a smart a** ... but you & hubby should expect ongoing maintenance & repairs. Your new pride & joy is pushing 30. Your vette is a well-made car of proven design ... but note its service requirements are similar to other cars of its age. In time, you'll begin to see how all that TLC is yielding an exceptional example ... and you guys'll appreciate your vette all the more. Kudos to yer hubby for taking good care of you & yer brakes. Moreover, congrats on your new shark and welcome to the forum. You'll find many an understanding shoulder here & lots who'll want to help. Hang in there.
JACK:gap

Thanks Jack. I just feel kinda bad that my new purchase has put his '57 Chevy, '32 Coupe, '36 Dodge, a '77 Harley and his Alpine on the back burner. To me, whatever it takes is well worth it, and I wouldn't trade the opportunity to own such a beautiful car.

Those are fantastic units.

It is a little dicy there for a moment when you are shimming it into place. You would think there would be a better way to do it instead of a bunch of washers.

No more adjusting points for you!

Trixie,

A 75 does not have points, so this is one thing that you won't ever have to worry about.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom