Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

installing a big block?

RoyO

Corvette
1974 Red coupe/1993 Red Coupe
I want to install a bb in my 74. I have motor and all built, my concern is pulleys. will they work from a pass car bb of 74 vintage short pump v belt type? I want to retain my ps ac and all. I also have a 1991 truck surpentine set up. I am sure somebody out their has tried one of these set ups. thanx Roy O

I tried using the truck setup on my big block but it stuck up too high to fit under the hood. I ended up using a street and performance serp setup on mine, it wasnt much more than buying the correct brackets and pulleys and it was new and shiny. ;)

Mike

mike did you have a stock hood. what exactly stuck up too far? Roy

the alt and ac units stick up higher on the truck brackets. most hi-rise hoods won't clear them because the motor is wider than the raised section of hood. the v-belt brackets off a passenger car should be good. if you want a serpintine set-up, several companies make nice brackets. i went with March pullies, look great, but a pain to get the ps fill cap off, but mine is a small block. maybe others with big blocks can confirm a better fit.

hey ray
i just swapped my SB for BB about 2 weeks ago. I just l0oked and hunted for the accesory brackets and was able to locate them.. Mostly on ebay, yes ebay
prices were fairly reasonble, but well worth it.
the crank pulley you can still get from GM the water pump)short) you can get most auto parts , W/P pulley was a bit tough but available. I had A/C to contend with so I needed a 3 groove pulley. But at the end it was very much worth the hassles of getting the parts
good luck
jeff

Yup what akray4play said. I had a small block serp setup from a 94 pickup on my small block and it fit fine so I got the big block brackets but no such luck. I had an L-88 hood on mine. I did mine before I started messing with e bay, didnt think to look there. I was in a hurry to get mine on the road so I bought the street and performance setup, it looks great and works good. It also has a remote power steering reservoir that I mounted on the front of the intake and its easy to access. Good luck with your project!

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom