Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Installing Z06 heads and cam in 01 LS1

r1_addict

I have a 2001 convertible with a 6 speed. My friend is going to give me his stock heads and cam from an 03 Z06. Other than the obvious installation process, will I have to tune the car in any way? Timing ect?

for the labor costs? I'd suggest an aftermarket cam and valve spring setup prior to installation.

I'd suggest trolling the various sites to decide what will suit you best.

The 224/224 .563 114lsa cam I have with comp 921 dual valve springs is pretty mild.

If I had a chance to do it again...I'd probably go to a bigger cam. This is a very mild setup.

I suggest that a stock Z06 cam and heads would be a bit mild to make the installation costs worthwhile.

Stock heads with upgraded dual valve spring kit and an aftermarket cam is just a suggestion.

Of course figuring 1500- 2000 or so for the installation costs probably is a decent guess?

What were you HP gains? I figure if I am gonna pull the heads off, might as well go with full ported, over size valves ect. Perhaps I get teh Z06 heads worked on, get a decent cam and go. I am not really into racing my car, just want a littel more eye sucking power!

with American Racing Brand headers and a 224/224 .563 114lsa very mild cam ....I dyno'd 415 rear wheel hp /380 rear wheel torque...

I personally thought it was a bit high but I was pleased with the results.

Otherwise with the flp headers at another dyno I nailed down 396 rwhp on three seperate occassions...

Thats a more accurate number to expect with stock heads (upgraded dual comp 921 valve spring kit)

The dual cranes crapped out at about 23K miles and you don't want that experience...(especially with single valve springs so consider that money well spent) trust me on that...

If someone asked me about hindsight for street driving...I still think the 224/224 114lsa cam is a bit too mild but its very civilized for me...IMO

Good luck

JB

You will need to change the ECM programming to that used by the LS6. The LS6, also, used different injectors, so you'll need those, too. To get the full benefit of the swap, you'll need the 02-04 Z06 cat converters, the 02-04 MAF and the 02-04 Z06 air filter assy or an aftermarket like the SLP BlackWing.

Hib Halverson said:
You will need to change the ECM programming to that used by the LS6. The LS6, also, used different injectors, so you'll need those, too. To get the full benefit of the swap, you'll need the 02-04 Z06 cat converters, the 02-04 MAF and the 02-04 Z06 air filter assy or an aftermarket like the SLP BlackWing.

Interesting! I just had a set of unmodified Z06 heads installed on my 228/222 588/581 @ 114.5 lsa cammed '04 A4 coupe and the tuner never mentioned I needed to upgrade all that other stuff.

He did, however, make many changes to the A/F and timing tables, among other things on the ECM. The vette already had LT headers and a Ti catback put on, along with a Blackwing intake and Yank 3200 TC (to help with the 2.73 gears).

What am I really missing out on here, by not having all that other stuff done?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom