Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Instrument Panel Lights - Help!

87 Greenwood Coupe

The lights on my 79 instrument panel are out, speedo, tach, oil, water, clock, etc., but my interior lights work.
Are these on separate fuses? I don't have an owner's manual. Do you know which fuse and size it is?
Help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

IP Fuses

87 Greenwood - According to my 1979 Manual, the Instrument Lamps are a 6 Amp fuse. There is a 20 Amp fuse that protects the Clock,Lighter, Courtesy, Anti-Theft Alarm, Glove Box and Dome. There is also a 10 Amp fuse for the Gages/Telltale Lamps, Seat Belt Buzzer Lamps and Relays (Power Window Relay), Cruise Control. This is from Page 7-5 of the 1979 Corvette Owners manual. Hope this helps.

Tsker79 said:
87 Greenwood - According to my 1979 Manual, the Instrument Lamps are a 6 Amp fuse. There is a 20 Amp fuse that protects the Clock,Lighter, Courtesy, Anti-Theft Alarm, Glove Box and Dome. There is also a 10 Amp fuse for the Gages/Telltale Lamps, Seat Belt Buzzer Lamps and Relays (Power Window Relay), Cruise Control. This is from Page 7-5 of the 1979 Corvette Owners manual. Hope this helps.

I don't have an owner's manual. I may have bulbs out, because the clock works and the courtesy and dome lights work.
Does the manual tell you where these fuses are located on the fuse panel?
Thanks for your help.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Sounds like you have no ground going to you inst. cluster. Try clipping a wire from the NEG terminal of the battery to the metal housing of the inst cluster. If the lights come on look for an empty spade connector on the housing and then look for a lonely looking Black wire with a spade terminal dangling nearby.

SR'71 said:
Sounds like you have no ground going to you inst. cluster. Try clipping a wire from the NEG terminal of the battery to the metal housing of the inst cluster. If the lights come on look for an empty spade connector on the housing and then look for a lonely looking Black wire with a spade terminal dangling nearby.

Good suggestion, thanks!

Don't know how else to do this but there is a recent thread titled "1979 fuse panel layout" with a picture of the fuse box skematic. Couple weeks ago.
Mike

Checklst said:
Check your dimmer switch !!!

The dimmer turns on the courtesy lights, but has no effect on the gauges. Could it be the dimmer itself?
Thanks.

The dash light are controlled by a potentiometer, its on the back of the switch(looks like a spring) as you twist all the way a switch turns on the interior lights, 2 separate systems built into the same switch.

I would check all other possible fixes first as mention above because switch replacement is a big PITA on my 71, drop steering column, pull upper dash pad and pull lower dash pad foward, loosen dash gauges from lower dash ect ect ect PITA ,PITA………………

GOOD LUCK My fingers are crossed for you, and the bad ground wire or blowen fuse!!!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions...

Checklst said:
The dash light are controlled by a potentiometer, its on the back of the switch(looks like a spring) as you twist all the way a switch turns on the interior lights, 2 separate systems built into the same switch.

I would check all other possible fixes first as mention above because switch replacement is a big PITA on my 71, drop steering column, pull upper dash pad and pull lower dash pad foward, loosen dash gauges from lower dash ect ect ect PITA ,PITA………………

GOOD LUCK My fingers are crossed for you, and the bad ground wire or blowen fuse!!!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - I'm still working on it... I will post the solution when I figure it out.

87 Greenwood Coupe,
Sorry it has taken so long to get back. For some reason, I was unable to connect to CAC from home this weekend. HAve you found the fuseblock info yet? If not, I'll look in my manual when I get home tonight.

It sounds like the dimmer to me. If you turn your dimmer knob and the interior lights go on it suggests you do have power to the switch. That little coil on the dimmer has a tendency to break. Once it breaks your guage lights will not work but the rest will.

Jim

I have the same problem with my '76. How do I "drop" the steering Column? where ansd howmany bolts?

You don't need to drop the steering column to get at the headlight switch. loosen off the driverside dash. Take out the black heater duct at the bottom. you should be able to reach the switch.

jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom