Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

insurance daily driver or not

jj_long81

Corvette
L81 origional
hello. hope this post doesnt stirr up too much ruckus. anyway my car is not a daily driver and its getting old so when i get insurance is there a place that other 1981 owners are getting insurance for thier classic nondaily drivers or should i just add to my existing insurance. is a 1981 even a classic? do many people still drive thier 81s as daily drivers?

Hagerty is where I insure my 73....get a quote here.

Use your existing insurance company and list the car as "pleasure, occasional use, under 7500 miles per year", etc. Most of the insurance companies have a similar category for vehicles which are not driven on a regular basis.

You may not need specialty insurance.

:thumb

Grundy here

For my '81 I use Grundy thru my local insurance company which is Erie. You get to set the price and just pay the premimun based on the coverage amount. No problem to date but then.....knock on wood......had not needed to file a claim. I have $21,000 pn my '81 for about $340/year.

As a insurance agent, do not use your existing company! Yes, call Adam, Grundy, JC Taylor, Hagerty. They are all just agencies and do not actually underwrite the business. There are actually only a couple of companies that they go through. Usually Philadelphia or Firemans Fund. Insure it for stated value. It should be very inexpensive on a 81 :beer

i10fwy

Don't forget that if you insure your '81 at $21,000. Take tons of pictures, get an appraisal and document, document, document. If you don't, the insurance company will determine on their lonesome the value of your car. If you try to overvalue your car, it's not the insurance company's fault. You'll also pay more than you should anyway!

If you get the car painted or whatever later on making a big difference in value, make sure you adjust accordingly..etc.etc

Also, check the differences on deductible costs. It's not that much more to go $500.00 or even $250 deductible instead of reaching for the $1,000. Remember your insurance company will not defend you if you do not reach your deductible. I had a claim a few years back for $950. and tried the $1,000 deductible route (not anymore). They would not defend me and it went from a sure 100% other driver's fault to 50/50 both our faults even though the accident report was in my favor.

Chuck M

I have 3 cars on my Hagerty policy. Not all Corvettes. All are agreed value and I only have to pay one liability premium. They figure you are only gong to drive one at a time. All 3 together cost less than the '81 alone on my standard policy and it was listed as pleasure use adult only (no one except my wife and me in the household). I live in a rural area also which usually lowers your premium.

I believe in a specialty policy with agreed value. If anything happens you know exactly what you are going to get for your car, no argument over value. You just can't drive it as your daily work or use vehicle.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom