Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Insurance in Ontario Canada

henny496

Corvette
1963 Corvette coupe(pro street)
Hello
I am getting closer on my project and I have been asking about insurance
I talked with Silver Wheel classic car insurance( custom) but the one thing they said is you are not allowed to race your car or even time trial it. If you do, your insurance is revoked. You have to sign paperwork stating you will never even time trial your car
I am talking with another company at the moment, but I was curious if anyone in Ontario can offer any advice on insurance
It does not appear that the premiums are going to be very cheap either
I have joined the Ontario Nostalgia Drag Racing club and I had intended on going to race at an event once a year anyway
take care
Tom

Hello
I talked with another insurance company and the broker said she had a street/strip car. She had to decide whether or not to race it or street drive, but you cannot have both. She is racing it now
How the insurance companies are looking at it is that if you have an accident at the track and anyone is injured, they may be liable for damages
That is why you are not able to take the car to the track. This all stems from the ricers and accidents causing death on city streets. People are sueing so the insurance company considers them to be race cars......THEY ARE NOT RACE CARS
They are mom and dads car, or some little neon
The only legal way around this is to race your car then insure it, or let your insurance lapse for a month or so when it comes due, so you can go to the track
All of the talk about getting kids off the street to race at a sanctioned track is BS and doubletalk. Everyone is passing the buck
Race on the street , get caught and have some jail time and your car impounded. Go to the track and get caught and your insurance is revoked
This isn't a 68 Camaro that I can take the plates off, and blend in with the rest at the track.......this car stands out, only since there is not very many ever at the track. You sure would not want your picture taken
I have a headache and I am very annoyed, but I am going ahead as planned
take care
Tom

That's pretty standard - every policy I've ever seen in the U.S. states very clearly that there is NO coverage of any kind when the car is participating in ANY sort of "timed event". When you hit the track, the risk is all yours.

:beer

Hello
It is the custom wheel plan from Silver Wheel. The insurance obvously is not covering the car, and I had mentioned that to the insurance company
It is the fact that a spectator can get hurt, so even if you time trial your car and they find out your insurance is automatically revoked. The Custom Wheel plan is the only one available for me. I have to sign paperwork stating I will never race or time trial the car
I cannot cancel the policy or put it on hold for a week or two( not that I am aware of) I would have to wait until renewal and then stall for a week or two
OHIP Ontario health care will go after the insurance company for injuries, but if you had a race car the race track insurance( I think) will have to pay as well as OHIP. You can get race car insurance, but once you start the car it is void> It is for trailering, theft and in the pits. I don't know if it covers for spectators
You cannot put race car insurance on for a month or two, it is an all yr round policy

Trust me, I know how stupid this sounds
take care
Tom
my car is supposed to be off to the bodyshop tomorrow. I will send in pics later

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom