Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

insurance: know of any good deals for low mileage?

S

sothpaw

Greetings,

I wanted to bring up this topic as I am
contemplating changing insurance companies
as I am unhappy with the service&price with
my current carrier.

So here it is:

Does anybody know of a reputable ins. co. that
gives you a good deal on your vette if you drive
it for low mileage? And I mean really low, like
3000 mi/yr. But, I am not talking about insurance
for classic/antique cars or cars in process of being
restored.

I seem to drive my car much less lately; it's role
is being re-defined as hobby/track car.

My current carrier recognizes that it's driven less
than 7500 and the discount for that is not very
substantial at all, maybe $50-100 per year
out of a $760/yr premium.

Switched to GEICO here, former company wanted 711.00 for six months on the ZR-1 GEICO 406.00 Former company was gouging me 365.00 for six months on the 84 CF Geico 180.00 similar savings were to be had on the Mopile diesel truck and the Jeep Cherokee. Good luck 91 ZR-1 84 CF

sothpaw... have you looked around the internet? Geico does have a good online quote system... it lets you change numbers around and requote... this is a great feature so you can figure out where you can save alot of money... for me, going from a 500 deductable to 1000 resulted in a 500 per year savings... so as long as I have 1 claim or less in the year, i am at least even!.... also check out www.insurance.com you may find a deal there... hope this helps

With the Vette as my second car, I pay $600 yearly with State Farm. Also got a good deal on my motorcycle, $350 yearly. Hope this helps. -JimS

I am with American Family Insurance...I pay a little over 250.00 a year for full coverage on my 85. Course the agent is a lodge brother and I did have to buy renters insurance to get the better deal...and I got 250.00 ded.

Allstate quoted me around $600 a year for a 99 vert. But they didn't have another mile tier under 7500 miles.

All,
I tried calling Geico twice in the
last couple of years, and they
have never beat state farm
(current carrier) on price.
I may try the site though,
maybe that will be a quick check...

I was just hoping to find someone
who would give me a break since
I really don't drive the car much...

...And yes, I carry 1000 ded. collision
already, all vehicles.

Damn, I wonder what my rates would be if I increased my ded to $1000. Currently have $250 on all vehicles with full comp-collision. And still only $600 a year on the 99 vette.

600 a year?

That seems awfully cheap for insuring a '99 vert.
I don't have a quote below 700 for my '93 coupe.
I am 28, married, no accidents, no speeding
tickets, not even a parking ticket.

Maybe it's the area? New York is really exhorbitant,
maybe insurance is high here because of the intense
Baltimore beltway/I95 traffic.

Same, 31, married, no accidents, tickets, multi-car discounts, discount for home owners insurance, etc. Hey, I'm not gonna knock it at all. :)

Just checked my State Farm policy for my '95 Coupe. It's as follows:

50/100/50 bod inj and prop dmg liab.
$5000 med payments
$1000 ded collision
$0 ded comprehensive
emerg road service
50/100 Uninsured motor vehicle, bodily injury

= $501.50 per year. Unlimited mileage.

liability

compyelc4,

I guess I am not too surprised with those numbers,
but I have always carried 250/500k bodily injury.
And I bet Maryland is more expensive than Ohio.
I wish I was from Ohio, believe you me...

Thanks

The reason why there is such a huge difference in price from a 500 to 1000 ded. for collision is the high cost of repair on vettes... A bumper cover alone on a '96 is over 800 from GM.... it isn't like we are likely to have an accident where it will cost less than 500, (heck, it isn't likely we would have one less than 1000!) this is how insurance companies see it... oh, and melbourne is a cheap place to have insurance, that is where I am from... The roads are flat and wide, and people tend to drive safe and reasonable... it is a corvette owners dream!...

Gorgon, where in melbourne do you live? Suntree is where my parents live... ever see that '98 pace car running around? it's my Father's vette

Lake Washington area. Haven't seen the pace car driving around, but will keep an eye out for one. And the area is pretty nice, 15 minutes to the water is always nice. Don't have to tow the boat very far. ;)

Do you bring the CE down to Melbourne often?

I used to... been driving a honda around lately, the CE has been enjoying its time in the garage:) I am planning on taking it home in the next couple of weeks though... It needs a good drive... I enjoy taking it to the cruise ins on friday... I think the popular one is at palm bay chevrolet now... I have only been able to go once to that show... do you attend the cruise shows?

Let me make you guys sick :).

My 86 Vette with $300 ded. is about $360/yr. It's the third vehicle in a family with only two drivers (Sothpaw, your rates should have dropped a LOT on the Vette when you added the Firebird).

However, it's from USAA which is difficult to meet the requirements for.
[RICHR]

Na,
They don't seem to care.
They don't seem to recognize
that you can't drive 2 cars at once.
I'm considering Erie, they are cheaper,
overall, for 3 cars and homeowners,
but are going to jack up the Neon a bit.

They have a cruise in night on Wednesday nights at Doubles Hoagies. I'll be there tonight to drool all over the cars. Haven't been to the Palm Bay Chev nights, will have to check them out.

Do you get any insurance discounts through work? Raytheon, for example, used to have discounts with Liberty insurance and now with some other company that I don't remember. They could do payroll deduction and everything.

BTW - you don't have to hit return at the end of every line... the editor auto-wraps.
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom