Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intake manifold + Holley or Edelbrock 600 Cfm Carburetor?

capth4u

Corvette
1968 Chevrolet Corvette
Intake manifold + Holley or Edelbrock 500 or 600 Cfm Carburetor?

Hello everyone... we have a 1968 corvette that we are re-building :) I am a do it yourself kind of guy and I am pretty good learning as I go if I have never worked on a certain part before.

The vette needs a new carb.... I have learned that this intake manifold in not a square bore so I can only use certain carbs with it. I was thinking of adding a new Edelbrock 2101 intake manifold and either a Edelbrock 1403 (500 cfm) or 1406(600 cfm) carb or a Holley 0-80457s. I wanted to know what you all think about adding the manifold and which carb would be best??? Thank you very much for your information and help!!! :)

Hello everyone... we have a 1968 corvette that we are re-building :) I am a do it yourself kind of guy and I am pretty good learning as I go if I have never worked on a certain part before.

The vette needs a new carb.... I have learned that this intake manifold in not a square bore so I can only use certain carbs with it. I was thinking of adding a new Edelbrock 2101 intake manifold and either a Edelbrock 1406 carb or a Holley 0-80457s. I wanted to know what you all think about adding the manifold and which carb would be best??? Thank you very much for your information and help!!! :)

Any other mods to the engine? What model Holley is that part number for?

Any other mods to the engine? What model Holley is that part number for?

Hello... the only other mod is that the oil line go's into the valve cover.... besides that its stock. I think that model is the 600 cfm they sell

FWIW: Why not rebuild the stock Quadra-Jet and save the expense of new carb and intake?

:)

Do you know what size carb that stock Q-jet is? I know the new manifold I can add newer carbs and gain performance as well.

Do you know what size carb that stock Q-jet is? I know the new manifold I can add newer carbs and gain performance as well.

Smallblock base Q-Jets were 650cfm.

DougRoe.jpg

Good stuff here. Worth the cost of a copy. Covers all Q-Jets and includes a chapter on increasing performance.

Smallblock base Q-Jets were 650cfm.

DougRoe.jpg

Good stuff here. Worth the cost of a copy. Covers all Q-Jets and includes a chapter on increasing performance.

Tempting :) but wouldn't a 600 cfm be better at low and mid rpm? I spoke to Holley and they recommend the 0-80457S IF I get a new Edelbrock Intake manifold (2101). Im looking to re-store the car to a beautiful finish someday so I think updating the manifold and a new carb would look great as well as a nice performance boost :)

I would vote for the rebuilt Q-jet also, but i would take the Holley over the Edelbrock. My Holley 670 Street Avenger has been trouble free.

The Q-jet covers the lower RPM range pretty good. It has smaller primaries than most. The huge secondaries are pulled in on demand particularly on models with vacuum secondaries.

The vette needs a new carb.... I have learned that this intake manifold in not a square bore so I can only use certain carbs with it. I was thinking of adding a new Edelbrock 2101 intake manifold and either a Edelbrock 1403 (500 cfm) or 1406(600 cfm) carb or a Holley 0-80457s. I wanted to know what you all think about adding the manifold and which carb would be best??? Thank you very much for your information and help!!! :)

I'm using a Holley 650 spreadbore; Easy to tune preforms great. I went to the Holley after trying 3 different Q-jets if no improvements :W. I LOVE my Holley :thumb.

Gary
SAVE the WAVE

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom