Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Intake Manifold:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
I recently discovered that the aluminum intake had been taken off and replaced with a cast iron. I was told all was original when I bought it and we know how that can be at times. I want to go back with a original aluminum intake. I'm not a very good mechanic, so please excuse my ignorance. My question is about how long/what kind of time would this job take for someone that is experienced? All else on the engine seems to be original. It's has the L82. Thanks to all, :w

It's a one afternoon job to swap them, but think first about sourcing all the correct widgets that attach to the manifold. Availability/cost might be a problem.

Is the carb original at least?

I recently discovered that the aluminum intake had been taken off and replaced with a cast iron. I was told all was original when I bought it and we know how that can be at times. I want to go back with a original aluminum intake. I'm not a very good mechanic, so please excuse my ignorance. My question is about how long/what kind of time would this job take for someone that is experienced? All else on the engine seems to be original. It's has the L82. Thanks to all, :w

As someone who has owned two, late smog era C3s... I'm not surprised.

Other than materials, I'm not sure there was a big performance difference between the cast iron L48 intake and the aluminum L82 intake.

With that said, it is likely someone had good reason to remove the aluminum intake in the past and used a cast iron intake as a 1:1 replacement. Perhaps a bolt was stripped, something was dog-eared, etc... who knows.

If you are gong for OEM- then replace it with an aluminum version. Otherwise, I think it is of little consequence.

In fact, leaving it alone may add more to the mystique of your particular car. :thumb

Other than materials, I'm not sure there was a big performance difference between the cast iron L48 intake and the aluminum L82 intake.

The L82 used the same cast iron manifold as L48 from '73 to '77. The OP has not stated what P/N manifold he's got, but would guess that performance is not his concern.

It's a one afternoon job to swap them, but think first about sourcing all the correct widgets that attach to the manifold. Availability/cost might be a problem.

Is the carb original at least?

Carb. is original. What do you mean by
sourcing all the correct widgets that attach to the manifold.

it's quite possible that the intake manifold corroded to the point it wouldn't seal anymore. many cases of aluminum to cast iron corrosion have been noted through the years on many applications. i have a '89 suburban that leaks a little just for this reason.

steve "pops" pastorino

The L82 used the same cast iron manifold as L48 from '73 to '77. The OP has not stated what P/N manifold he's got, but would guess that performance is not his concern.

The al. manifold that I would replace the cast iron with is the original one/part number that came on the car originally.
Sorry, but I don't understand your statement about performance not being a concern for me. Please clearfiy. I am concerned about performance.
Thanks, :W

when you get to the distributer, drop it in (or course with gasket first), if it doesn't go all the way down, turn the engine over so the oil pump shaft groove will align with the groove in the distributer shaft.

good luck

when you get to the distributer, drop it in (or course with gasket first), if it doesn't go all the way down, turn the engine over so the oil pump shaft groove will align with the groove in the distributer shaft.

good luck
You can use a long common screw driver and adjust the shaft for the dizzy to align.

Be sure to mark the position of the dizzy and the rotor prior to removal. Taking pics will help. You want to try and get things back in the same position as you removed them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom