Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior condensation

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
I've begun having an issue with condensate INSIDE my Vette. It just started over the past week or so - and corresponds with the time I began using my heater/ defroster in the mornings.

When I get in the car every morning the interior of the windshield and windows are just as wet as the exterior.

I leave my AC on all the time so I turn off the defroster, put it back on AUTO and turn the temp contoller back to near it's lowest setting before leaving the car.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what may be causing this??? I don't like all this moisture buildup in the car at all!

TIA!
:w Jane Ann

<absolute conjecture from a non mechanic follows....pay attention at your own risk ;-) >

Clogged AC drain tube ?(I think its on the firewall in the engine compartment on the passenger (right) side.
If you lift any of the rugs (like pulling the passenger kick panel, or, lifting the rug behind either of the seats) do you see any water?

Or....<drumroll>...the water on the outside of the car is leaking inside :)
Ya I know, annoyingly obvious and probably not that helpful, but the water has to be coming from somewhere :) Im pretty sure its not just from the air, what I mean is it's obviously condensation but there has to be a water source (like a puddle or wet carpet...not just condensing out of the air).

It ever leak anywhere if you get caught in the rain (rear corners of the side windows on my coupe, dont know the trouble spots on a ragtop). Dew dripping in there? Any mildew on the sides or behind the seats?

Still warm in Mi ? I understand you are using the heat / defroster in the morning, so it must not be warn, but if its warm/humid at any time during the day when you are driving with the AC on, if the tube is clogged, water can drip inside the passenger compartment and cause the problem in the morning.

Barring that, I've had cars that bled inside if there was a pinhole in the heater core, dont know if the vette is plumbed like that.

I've begun having an issue with condensate INSIDE my Vette. It just started over the past week or so - and corresponds with the time I began using my heater/ defroster in the mornings.

When I get in the car every morning the interior of the windshield and windows are just as wet as the exterior.

I leave my AC on all the time so I turn off the defroster, put it back on AUTO and turn the temp contoller back to near it's lowest setting before leaving the car.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what may be causing this??? I don't like all this moisture buildup in the car at all!

TIA!

Is the right footwell of the car wet? Remove your floor mat and the computer cover. Is any of the carpeting or padding wet? If so, post what you find and I can advise you on how to clear a clogged a/c condensate drain tube to prevent further damage (I speak from experience - mine overflowed and ruined the computer located in the footwell, immobilizing the car for five days and ruining an out-of-state trip). Good luck.

Jane Ann,stick your finger in one of the little droplets close to the defroster duct and put on the tip of your tung. If it tastes kinda Sweet your Heater Core is going bad!!! If not you should have the guys that put your New Top on check for water leaks!!!

Thanks guys... these are all good suggestions and I'll check it out more when I'm off this weekend.

MS is VERY humid right now... the NEW top doesn't seem to be leaking - we've had quite a bit of rain lately and I've driven in a couple of downpours (as well as the car being parked in heavy rain too) with no signs of leaks. This morning (and again this evening when I left work) all was clear... no signs of interior moisture. I've not felt any wet spots on the floorboard but I haven't checked all the way forward in the passenger footwell - I'll have to check that. Also - no signs or smells of mildew developing.

Thanks again for the suggestions... I'll check (or have Kevin check) that AC drain tube ASAP. And I'll report back anything I find here.

BTW - it's NOT unusual at all to need the heat in the morning and the AC in the afternoon here on the Coast. :eyerole

Thanks guys... these are all good suggestions and I'll check it out more when I'm off this weekend.

MS is VERY humid right now... the NEW top doesn't seem to be leaking - we've had quite a bit of rain lately and I've driven in a couple of downpours (as well as the car being parked in heavy rain too) with no signs of leaks. This morning (and again this evening when I left work) all was clear... no signs of interior moisture. I've not felt any wet spots on the floorboard but I haven't checked all the way forward in the passenger footwell - I'll have to check that. Also - no signs or smells of mildew developing.

Thanks again for the suggestions... I'll check (or have Kevin check) that AC drain tube ASAP. And I'll report back anything I find here.

BTW - it's NOT unusual at all to need the heat in the morning and the AC in the afternoon here on the Coast. :eyerole

What did you determine?

What did you determine?

I'm taking her in to Kevin and Chris tomorrow to get to the heart of the issue...

Floorboard on both sides (driver and passenger) is wet. It seems to me to be a slightly sweet odor in the car. I couldn't quite place it - then realized it reminds me of "radiator fluid" smell.

I've looked all around the top but can find no signs of leaking.

Hopefully the problem can be found and fixed tomorrow!

I'm taking her in to Kevin and Chris tomorrow to get to the heart of the issue...

Floorboard on both sides (driver and passenger) is wet. It seems to me to be a slightly sweet odor in the car. I couldn't quite place it - then realized it reminds me of "radiator fluid" smell.

I've looked all around the top but can find no signs of leaking.

Hopefully the problem can be found and fixed tomorrow!

Good luck!

Sure sounds like a heater core leak.

Glycol in antifreeze/rad fluid is sweet and that's what Junk was referencing.

It's so sweet that it is also leathal to animals; I lost a dog to it. She was lapping up a puddle in the driveway when I moved a car to repair a leaky hose.

I'm at Kevin's now... Chris is going to check it out shortly. I thought the "sweet" smell would indicate heater core, as Junkie suggested. The good news is, IF IT IS heater core - it's listed as covered on my warranty contract.

Thanks for all the input everyone! Much appreciated!

Everything Chris checked looked okay, so he put a waterhose on the car. We didn't see anything until we sprayed from the sides... then it looked like a waterfall! :ugh Apparently the top was leaking but only with a blowing rain. Interesting thing was, it was leaking in virtually the same spot on both sides of the top.

I took it back to Brian and he pulled some of the gaskets from around the top. We discovered a spot on both sides that the silicon had hardened to the point that it was not conforming to the shape of the top and window. He cleaned and replaced a small bead of silicon on both gaskets and re-intalled them. After letting the stuff sit for about a half hour, we put it to the waterhose test again and it passed with flying colors!

I really can't say enough good about Brian and Headliners Plus in Gulfport. He did an excellent and fast job replacing the top back in August, and dropped everything today to address the issue of the leak - No Charge. I know that's the way it should be with followup issues after work is done to our cars, but we all know it isn't always the case.

Thanks Brian!

Glad it wasnt anything too difficult to resolve. Got to give Brain a :upthumbs for the customer support too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom