Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Dye

C

Corvette Craig

Has anyone used the Interior dye the vendors sell.
Last night I started "changing" the interior color of rust (cinnabar)
to black. Problem is: I've used 3/4 of a quart, and everything stills needs another (maybe 2) coat(s), along with leaving brush marks.
Am I doing this wrong, or does it take this much dye?

There have been other threads on the forums by people claiming to have good success with those dyes. Try a search and see what pops up. I have never tried to change color but I had touched up black with good results. I wouldn't be suprised that it would take multiple coats to cover a bright color and get a smooth even finish.

Tom

Tom Bryant said:
There have been other threads on the forums by people claiming to have good success with those dyes. Try a search and see what pops up. I have never tried to change color but I had touched up black with good results. I wouldn't be suprised that it would take multiple coats to cover a bright color and get a smooth even finish.

Tom

Tom
I'm looking to do a little more then touch up my carpet (black) for my mid year. What dye did you use? What vendor did you use? How hard was is to do?

Thanks
Ed :cheers:

I used a vinyl paint, years ago, called MarHyde, or such. It was sprayed on, and is NOT suitable for carpet.

I have used regular black dye on leather to spruce up.

I have used regular old RIT Scarlet 5 dye to touch up the Carmine floor mats in my '84. I spray it lightly, but it is a bit darker that the carpet. It is fine for my 'driver'.

I used regular old RIT black dye on my '67 too. Mixid it up and put it in a spray bottle. Wasn't perfect but improved the faded areas a bunch.

Tom

Thanks
Pirot & Tom

Don't mean to sound like a knucklehead but is RIT the dye used for curtians, clothing..etc found in any store ? If so that would be great.

My black carpet has some yellowish fade to it. Until I replace it, I think this would spruce it up tremendously..

Thanks again!
Ed

Ed,
Yes it is. It doesn't attach all that well to synthetics but is an improvement.

tom

Tom Bryant said:
Ed,
Yes it is. It doesn't attach all that well to synthetics but is an improvement.

tom

I agree. In my case anything would be an improvement.

Tomorrow happens to be officially "My Day" I cancelled, postponed, and shifted everything so I could play with the car tomorrow. (Some mild motor work) Maybe I'll attempt the carpet!

Thanks again !

Ed

Well, I finally finish!
The Car looks GREAT!!!!!
Tip Here: DO NOT USE the dye in a can, use the SPRAY, the results were day and night.
Also: I used a "carpet paint" AND the results were fantastic.
All of the items I got from PEP PRO'S or AUTOZONE.

I can't believe how good both these "over the counter" products worked. In short here's the tally:
1 can of black all purpose primer: 1.99
3 cans of Interior Dye: 4.99@
6 cans of Carpet Paint: 4.99@
Total: 46.90

Hint: The trick to this was the tape masking, spend the time to do the best possible job you can, it's worth it.

Also: If you remove/replace the seat belts, be prepaired, those bolts weren't designed to come out, I had to borrow a large "star" socket just to get 3 out, the last one striped, so I had to drill a new hole.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom