Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

interior heat

B

BoBB

I have just upgraded to a C5 from a C4 and I have found that there is a lot of heat coming from under the console, in fact on a long trip where you move around, you don't want to park your backside up next to the console. Am i missing a peice of insulation on the underside? If not can and how do I get the console off to put some inslation under the rug? Any ideas am I the only one to have this problem, is it a problem ?

I have a C5, and most of my driving is interstate. You don't mention where you live, but I'm in KY, where the temp here lately has been in the 90's. That said, I havent noticed any heat problems with my car. You might check on the insulation underneath.

You are not imagining it

I have noticed it getting a bit warmer than my C4 also. It's not just you. I've just tried to stay away from the offending area. I'm just outside of N.KY, in southeastern Indiana and it only happens on trips over 30 or 40 miles.
--Drew:w

I had had the same problem with my C5. It's a fact of the life with the engine and transmission located as they are. The solution suggested by other CAC members is turn on the AC. If fact it's never off now, even with the top down
tom

Heat Buildup Fix

I have the same problem on my C5. I saw a Heatmaster Shield in Mid America catalog that lines the exterior of the driveshaft tunnel. They say it's a NASA/Boeing thing , I guess that's to get us to swallow the $369 price tag. Has anybody tried it yet? There must be something less expensive to use in the tunnel.

Heat in the console is a known problem for the earlier 97-00 Vettes. I believe there has been a service bullitin about the problem. My understanding was that the 01's and 02's have extra insulation around the tunnel and dash to contain the heat. In my 00, the heat is so severe that you can't keep your leg next to the transmission tunnel for extended periods. also, the console stack gets so hot that I have blamed it for causing problems on two cd's. I took a meat thermometer(sp?) measured the heat in my cd carriage at 150+ degrees.
So, yes there is heat, and gm is aware of the issue. I believe there response is get use to it...

The Z06 is even hotter, bit less insulation. I think this is just a side effect of the design

Good Luck

SCS

My Y2k had the same problem, instead of shelling out the bucks for the Heatmaster Shield I purchased a rool of fiberwrap header tape wrap and wraped my exhaust from the manifold flange pipes to the main cats then to the H pipes. It has cut down 80 percent of the heat in the center console. Now my right knee can lean up against the console !!!!!

Must be completely normal, I've had my 2002 Coupe for about a month, just turned 1,000 miles. Well, had it on the interstate for the first time yesterday and by the end of the trip I could have used some garlic and butter on my right leg because it was done. Heat coming up from the transmission tunnel, I would say so. Small price to pay in my opinion for owning the finest car in the world. Just part of the charm. My first vette and I can tell you, looks like I'll be in one for the duration, I love this car.

Please see interior temperature post of 05-03-02 that I started. A lot of good suggestions were provided by other members.
Tom

Console Heat

I have an '02 Cpe and have experienced no problems with heat from the console or console tower area. I drive with my right leg against the console, so I would know if there were any unusual heat there. Is there something different from car to car, or perhaps from Cpe to Roadster? I live in west central SC and it doesn't get much hotter than the central midlands here unless you head to the southwest.

I know that this is a very old thread, but others may find this information valuable.

As you know, the primary contributor to heat in the vehicle comes from the exhaust tubes in the tunnel.

You can install a heat barrier (there are many types) between the floor / tunnel sides and the carpet, but this adds bulk to an already space-challenged situation, and eventually the insulation material heats up and begins to radiate heat on its own.

You really need some method for removing the heat mechanically.

If you take a look at where the mufflers and cat converters are located, you will see that GM has installed metal heat shields that are spaced away from the surface that they are protecting.

The air space allows for a mechanical removal of heat (as the vehicle is driven) instead of attempting to block the heat with insulation.

So, following the GM engineered model, I crafted an aluminum plate to surround the exhaust (on three sides) while still leaving a 3/8" air space between the plate and the tunnel sides and the tunnel closeout panel.

Designing the plate and having it fabricated was a little tricky, but there is adequate room if you measure carefully.

I took heat measurements at the base of the tunnel before and after I installed the shield and I measured a 30 degree heat reduction under medium load conditions (driving in hilly areas) and a 20 degree heat reduction when cruising (flat roads).

If you are interested in more detailed information, send me a PM and I will share more.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom