Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

interior lights fixed!!

Well i just went out to uncover the vette and tried the new v-reg and it works fine.
Soooo send me you address and I'll ship the spare I have to you.
tom
jeantom@chorus.net

Some cautions before you begin
If you have access to some small copper braid to remove the old solder that would be great.

Do not over heat the reg while soldering.

make sure you have plenty of height so you can bend it over and it fits in the case.

watch wich way the reg is installed before you take it out.

try to use a small tip iron not some 1200 watt iron:eek

if you have any question let me know and I'l put my wife on:L

Silver,

I recieved the item the other day (been too busy to post a reply) and it looks in perfect shape. Now all I have to do is wait till I have time to take my dash apart (again;) Just kidding it aint that bad). I have a nice little cordless soldering iron that will work perfect for this job so don't worry about me using something too big. Saturday should be the day I have time to make this repair, seems like saturday is fix the vette day any more. I will let you know how it came out.

I hope that does it for ya.
Now that the snow is melting I think i had better hurry and get my new tires put on before it snows again.
tom

got mine fixed too!!!

I put in the new regulator and when I pulled out the old board you could deffinately tell from the discoloration on the board around the regulator that something had been fried there. This sight made me happy since that confirmed my sus****ions that my problem was the same as silver 80's. I got the new regulator soldered on and plugged the board back into the wires to test and the dome light came on right away and turned off roughly 15 seconds later. YAHOOO!!! My next question is, is the passengers side supposed to turn on the lights too and when you return the key back to off is that supposed to turn the lights on? Thanks again silver 80, it worked like a charm!!!

if you have finished driving the vette and you turn the key to off it will not light up unless you open the door. I think that the passenger door should turn the lights on too but I haven't tried that.... will try tomorrow.
tom

silver 80 said:
if you have finished driving the vette and you turn the key to off it will not light up...
tom

Well mine does. I turn the key to off and the light comes on and stays on for 15ish seconds. Also the light does not come on when I open the passanger's door. Is there something I maybe did wrong? a short somwhere? Do i have a possesed c3? (she was built on friday the 13th) any ideas?

nstg8r said:

Well mine does. I turn the key to off and the light comes on and stays on for 15ish seconds. Also the light does not come on when I open the passanger's door. Is there something I maybe did wrong? a short somwhere? Do i have a possesed c3? (she was built on friday the 13th) any ideas?

You might just have a bad pin switch. Open the passenger door, then put your fingers on the door switch and move it in, out, spin it, etc. See if the light comes on then. If so, just get a new one. Most stores like Napa carry them.

You may have a seperate one for alarm from lights. The lights one is usually the one in the hinge area of the door jam.

1981 INTERIOR LIGHTS

MY INTERIOR LIGHTS DIDN'T WORK. I CHECKED THE FUSE AND THERE WAS NO POWER. THE FIX WAS TO INSTALL A NEW HEADLIGHT SWITCH WHICH RAN POWER TO THE FUSE.

DEXTER

yep when i turn off the vette the lights come on and the passenger side does activate the lights also.

did you ever get it to work?
tom

silver 80 said:
yep when i turn off the vette the lights come on and the passenger side does activate the lights also.

did you ever get it to work?
tom

Yeah I got the lights to work. They come on when I open the drivers door and when I turn off the ignition but not when I open the passangers door. Near as I can tell it uses the same switch for the alarm and the dome light. Maybe I can try cleaning the contacts or see if there is a loose wire or something. It would be nice to have it come on when I open the passanger's door too. I guess My work is not done yet (or ever). Thanks again for the part silver, it works great

Oh yeah the alarm does work when opening that door, I found this out at 10:30 at night one time and had no clue how to turn it off.

silver 80 said:
well finally got the interior lights to do what they are suposed to do. come on when I open the door and go out 30 sec later. before they wouldn't even come on unless I used the light switch in the fully on position.
turned out to be the timmer, it had a bad voltage regulator. wife picked one up at radio shack and installed the new voltage reg on the circuit board and it works now.
:J

You know having a wife going through the electrical engineer program is great.
tom
I currently have the same symtoms with my 84 vette. The interior lights are not functioning the way they should. And, when i turn the switch to the on position the lights come on very dim and smoke starts coming from the switch area. I'm not too sure how to gain access to this switch. Does the whole dash have to be removed??

WOW, I have the same problem on my 81. How difficult was it for you to replace the voltage reg?? Where is it located?? I am disconnecting the battery after each drive so that it won't go dead on us. My wife is a Judge and we are both electronic dummies. So, we would like any information that you can provide. Thanks!!

silver 80 said:
well finally got the interior lights to do what they are suposed to do. come on when I open the door and go out 30 sec later. before they wouldn't even come on unless I used the light switch in the fully on position.
turned out to be the timmer, it had a bad voltage regulator. wife picked one up at radio shack and installed the new voltage reg on the circuit board and it works now.
:J

You know having a wife going through the electrical engineer program is great.
tom

John,

The timer is up behind on the right side of the glove box.

Check the L81VetteRegistry "Forum" here at CAC for more information, we have a member in France that made a replacement that gradually dims out instead of on then off ;)

Bud

Light Dimmer Control

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom