Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

interior lights

LanceB

Corvette
My 81 has two interior lights under the dash in each footwell. They are just hanging there but they have clips on the back of them. I don't see anywhere to mount them though. Anyone know where these things are supposed to go? I made a wish list last night also. New carpet throughout, new leather seats, and a paint job and I will have my 81 exactly how I want it. Doesn't seem like too much does it? In the first 5 years I owned it, I used to say that my car wasn't show quality, but mechanically sound. It is now driveable after months of work on rear end, brakes, steering column, exhaust, new tires, (the list goes on!) so that wasn't exactly true either.

Lance,

I'm not sure of the setup on the 81, but my 77 had the same situation with the lights. Turns out that there was a piece of metal attached to the back of the dash pad on each side with a circular hole in it that my lights went into.

Hey guys, I've just finished the interior of my 75 and I think its prettymuch the same on your.

Both lamps are supposed to have a metal bracket that the light socket snaps into. on the drivers side it mounts to rhe backside of the lower dash pad by the break release handle. The passenger side, I'm unsure where it originally went( assmbly manual shows on the side infront of the door and above rhe kick panel) so I attached it to the back side of the lower dash pad in about the same relationship with the driver side.

wicky88s1975 said:
Both lamps are supposed to have a metal bracket that the light socket snaps into.
So that plastic zip tie on my driver's side isn't an OEM part afterall???

;LOL :L ;LOL

LanceB said:
My 81 has two interior lights under the dash in each footwell. They are just hanging there but they have clips on the back of them. I don't see anywhere to mount them though. Anyone know where these things are supposed to go? I made a wish list last night also. New carpet throughout, new leather seats, and a paint job and I will have my 81 exactly how I want it. Doesn't seem like too much does it? In the first 5 years I owned it, I used to say that my car wasn't show quality, but mechanically sound. It is now driveable after months of work on rear end, brakes, steering column, exhaust, new tires, (the list goes on!) so that wasn't exactly true either.
Lance,

I just re-attached my courtesy lamps this morning after a long dark period. The lamp holders are snapped into a square fitting that is molded into the dashboard. If you take off the panel that holds the headlight up/down vacuum switch under the steering wheel(4 screws), the mount is located about 2" to the feft of that panel on the bottom lip of the dash. Mine were broken and laying on the foam and melting it rather nicely. My courtesy lights didn't come on anymore and I traced it to a bad contact(solder) on the card edge connector on the board of the light timer circuit on the right hand side of the glovebox(after removing the glovebox).
I also got my door locks working(new switches and frayed wires on the connector), and horn working(bad conector contact).

Pete.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom