Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intermittent Code 24

JonM

Corvette
84 Coupe
I drive it for a while and everything is fine. The OD shifts the way it is suppose to, and I am happy as a clam. Then all of a sudden I get a check engine light with a Code 24 set. (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and it will not shift into OD. I have installed a brand new speed sensor last week, (the gear inside is ok) and I had Gene Tabor go over the instrument panel and replace a few minor things. When the code is set the speedometer still works fine. Put everything back together and its doing the same thing as mentioned above.

Do you think it could be the ECM?

CODE 24

Trouble Code 24 indicates that the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is reporting an abnormally low reading when other sensors indicate it should be higher.

The conditions for setting this code are:

• no Code 33 or 34 (MAF Error) is present, and
  • the vehicle speed signal indicates < 4 MPH and
  • engine speed is between 1400 and 4400 RPM, and
  • during a low load condition (LV8 between 50 and 99), and
  • transmission not in Park or Neutral, and
  • all conditions met for more than 20 seconds
If the code was logged when the vehicle was in motion, the following should be checked:

1) Defective or corroded VSS connections
2) Maladjusted TPS sensor. The TPS should read about 0.42 volts at closed throttle
3) Defective speedometer cable
4) Bad or missing speedo drive gear(s) in tail shaft housing of the transmission
5) Defective VSS
6) Defective ECM

Does the VSS send a signal to the instrument panel then to the ECM or is it the other way around…VSS >>ECM>> instrument panel

Let me mention that their is no TV cable to adjust with this OD unit as the previous owner must have had a problem with the 84 model and had it replaced with a newer one.

gmjunkie said:
It Go's to ECM First!! junkie!! Jon I think that car has 5 Speed Sencer's Tranny and one on each wheel!! I may be Wrong I slept sence then!!

Nana...only one speed senson on the tranny...the wheels are nicked. I like archaic. ;)

So if it goes to the ECM first...and the speedo is working...:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom