Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intermittent Low Oil Light

Parrothead

Corvette
Quazar Blue 92
During the last couple of weeks, when starting I will intermittently get a Low Oil light on the warning panel. When I check the oil level it is fine. When I restart, the indication goes away :confused . I am guessing the sensor might be going bad. Anyone else experiance this or know of a way to check it. Thanks for the help.

What does you're digital readout show for the oil pressure? If it also shows low pressure, you should take it to a garage and have the pressure measured by a technician - if it is low pressure and not a sending unit, you will have major problems if you drive it much more.

Georget, I checked today, the oil pressure rises and lowers with throttle. I hope that is good. Thanks for pointing out to check that, don't know why I didn't, shame on me I guess. Any one else have any thoughts.

It's common for the oil pressure to rise and fall with the rpms. The rule of thumb is 10 psi of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm. ;)

Ken,

Speaking of oil pressure, at 2000rpm (freeway crusing speed) my oil pressure reads 70 psi. Is this correct or should it drop down around 20psi? It seems like my oil pressure has always run between 50 and 70 as I drive. Is this normal? I thought it was but from your replay I'm now not sure. Thanks.......

Ken said:
It's common for the oil pressure to rise and fall with the rpms. The rule of thumb is 10 psi of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm. ;)
So at idle (500-600 rpm) I should be at 5-6psi?

With the oil heated up, at idle I usually have about 30-35psi.

C'mon guys. You know what it (the "rule of thumb") means; it's an increase of 10 psi per 1000 rpm, it doesn't mean that you'll lose 10 psi of pressure the lower your rpms drop. Your pump will still be putting out its minimum design flow and pressure, no matter how slow you spin it.

By the same token, it will only put out as much as it is designed for, and won't keep building pressure as you increase rpms past a certain point. ;)

From idle, one normally sees an increase of 10 psi per 100 rpm, with a stock pump.

Parrothead said:
Ken,

Speaking of oil pressure, at 2000rpm (freeway crusing speed) my oil pressure reads 70 psi. Is this correct or should it drop down around 20psi? It seems like my oil pressure has always run between 50 and 70 as I drive. Is this normal? I thought it was but from your replay I'm now not sure. Thanks.......
That seems high. With fully warmed up Mobil 1 5w-30, my oil pressure runs 21 psi at idle and 45 at 2000 rpm cruise. This is judging by the gauge; there's no digital readout for oil pressure. BTW, my pressure never gets above 60 psi, even on a cold startup. I assume that's the bypass valve doing its job and preventing the oil filter from seeing too high a pressure.

Ken

Well what do ya know? Learn something new every day!
"The rule of 10 psi oil pressure for every 1,000 rpm is not really necessary. At one time, given tooling and manufacturing of the day, this may have been necessary. Today, while safe, it is overkill. Winston Cup engines live with only 50 pounds of oil pressure at 9,000 rpm."

I found that at Stock Car Racing - Oil Pumps For Street Stock Race Engines, while researching a cause for my high oil temperatures at high rpm. :cool

Thought I'd pass it along. :CAC

Ken,

I really had know idea how oil pressure works. Lucky for me I was able to get a 2 year warrenty one on car and am taking it to the dealer to get looked at. Hopefully that will be a good thing not bad. You never know these days. I'll post the results of that once it happens.......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom