Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Is a 2001 model the one to get?

Rain

Corvette
2000 Coupe 6 speed
After reading this info that Randy posted, I am thinking more towards the upper end of my search instead of the middle of the road.

Are the benefits of an 01 over a y2k or 99 model really solid points?

Thanks for your opinions
Rain

For Release: July 1, 2000

2001 CORVETTE OFFERS MORE

DETROIT
- The Chevrolet Corvette has been America's favorite sports car for 47 years, with more than one million sales and counting. During that time the Corvette has continually evolved and improved, always with an eye toward delivering a maximum amount of driving pleasure to those valuing high performance. For 2001, Corvette takes high performances and refinement to another level. "Corvette for 2001 offers more in several dimensions ... more performance, more agility and more refinements," said Dave Hill, Corvette chief engineer. "Corvette owners will be surprised and delighted at the result. We've expanded the envelope in every direction."

NEW FOR 2001

For 2001, Corvette coupe and convertible models get a healthy injection of power, especially at lower speeds where it is most noticeable. They also get more agility, with the enhanced Second-Generation Active Handling system - a system that is now standard on all Corvettes.

In the area of refinement, Corvette buyers will appreciate better noise isolation, better idle quality and many other changes made to improve the overall ownership experience - and 2001 Corvettes even offer reduced maintenance costs and better fuel economy.

MORE PERFORMANCE

Corvette coupe and convertible models for 2001 get more horsepower from the standard LS1 V8 - 350 hp (up from 345) - but the real story is a big boost in low-end torque.

Torque is what most customers really mean when they ask for "more power," and down low in the torque curve is where 2001 Corvette drivers will really feel the difference. Corvette engineers opened up the intake system, enabling the LS1 engine to pull in more air and the camshaft profile to be moderated in lift and overlap. The results are significant.

•300 lb-ft is delivered at 1,000 rpm - 400 rpm earlier than before

•320 lb-ft is delivered at 1,400 rpm - 800 rpm earlier than before

•340 lb-ft is delivered at 2,500 rpm - an amazing 1,400 rpm earlier than before

•Maximum torque of 360 lb-ft at 4,000 rpm for automatics

Coupe and convertible owners will feel this added power when starting off, and when passing other vehicles.

The most noticeable difference will be felt by the 60-percent of customers who order their Corvettes with an automatic transmission. The "slowest" Corvette - equipped with an automatic transmission and the standard rear axle ratio - now accelerates from 0-60 a full quarter second faster. When equipped with the performance axle, the automatic is as quick as last year's manual gearbox.

Engineering development of the Z06 package resulted in several improvements for coupe and convertible models as well. LS1 engines get the same new intake and exhaust manifolds as the LS6. All Corvettes get a stronger, larger diameter aluminum driveshaft.

MORE AGILITY

In mid-1998 a new feature called Active Handling was introduced on Corvette. It is a sophisticated stability control system that utilizes on-board sensors to measure yaw, lateral acceleration and steering wheel position, then brings into play the capabilities of Corvette's standard ABS brake and traction control systems to smoothly assist the driver in maintaining vehicle control in oversteer or
understeer situations.

For 2001 a Second-Generation Active Handling system, much enhanced over the original, becomes standard equipment on all Corvettes. With a new Bosch brake pressure modulator and many new or revised calibrations, Second-Generation Active Handling provides even more assistance to the Corvette driver.

Corvette engineers know how Corvette owners like to drive their cars, so a stability control system that would shut the car down too severely during enthusiastic driving was out of the question. Second-Generation Active Handling calibrations have been carefully developed to limit such intrusiveness. Aside from an "Active Handling" message on the instrument panel, drivers will not even realize they've been assisted in most situations.

Average drivers will find themselves capable of producing even lower elapsed times in autocross competitions. Above-average drivers will appreciate Active Handling's Competitive Mode, which allows them to switch off the traction control part of the system.

In addition to making all Corvettes more agile, Second-Generation Active Handling adds a cushion of safety given its ability to help out in emergency situations. It deftly senses both over- and under-correction on the driver's part and adjusts to help bring the car back into balance.

As good as it is, Active Handling cannot overcome the laws of physics. It is offered only as an assist - albeit an assist that makes Corvettes a lot more agile, and even safer - but it is not a cure-all for every situation. Ultimately, drivers must still take full responsibility for control of their vehicle.

In addition to Second-Generation Active Handling, Corvette suspension systems are also key enabler of Corvette's considerable agility. Coupe and convertible buyers have three outstanding suspension systems to choose from:

•The standard FE1 suspension is designed to please the majority of Corvette drivers.

•Optional is the Z51 Performance suspension. It provides a level of control "at the limit" beyond what the other packages offer while still maintaining enjoyable ride quality.

New wider and stickier Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires were created for the Z06. They feature reduced mass, an asymmetric tread design for better grip on wet or dry surfaces, a more compliant sidewall and better wear characteristics for on-track durability.

MORE REFINEMENT

One of the things that most delights owners of the current C5 (5th generation) Corvette is that Corvette engineers have built so much refinement into the car in addition to its world-class performance and handling. For 2001, the Corvette Team has added further refinement in many areas.

The alternator has a new clutch pulley that allows a reduction of engine idle speed on automatic-equipped Corvettes. This seemingly-small quality upgrade makes the car smoother and quieter in city driving, reduces or eliminates "idle creep" at stoplights and helps enable the improved fuel economy ratings already mentioned.

Interior sound isolation has been improved on all Corvettes with the addition of expandable foam and/or new seals in strategic areas, and a new convertible top provides better sealing, better sound isolation and a smoother appearance. The result is an interior environment on the convertible that most buyers would expect to find only in a luxury car.

Several other enhancements such as chrome-flashed tips to improve exhaust outlet appearance, a slimmer remote function key fob and the new availability of electrochromic driver's-side and inside rear view mirrors for greater visibility demonstrate the Corvette Team's attention to detail.

Another enhancement, now standard on coupes and convertibles, is a new Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery, which is lighter and more durable.

SUMMING IT ALL UP

As Dave Hill points out, Corvette for 2001 offers more in several dimensions. There are many significant and measurable product enhancements that will surprise and delight Corvette buyers.

"We've enhanced Corvette's performance persona and broken new ground," Hill said. "Second-Generation Active Handling and improved comfort and convenience add luster to America's most enduring high performance sports car."

I think that in any given model's production run, each new year is going to be just that little bit better than the previous year. In my opinion, when buying a used Vette or any used car for that matter, you should be looking primarily at condition of the vehicle versus any perceived reliability when new. You want a well maintained car with a complete service history. I also advise you to have the car thoroughly checked out by a qualified tech before you purchase. I would take a well maintained 99 or 00 over an 01 that has been abused. You also want to keep a close eye on 01s for any history on oil consumption. The General used lower friction piston rings on some of the late 00s and 01s and wound up with many owners reporting oil consumption problems. Not all 01s burn oil, just something to keep an eye out for. Good Luck.

Thanks,
Oil consumption and leaking batteries have been in the top 10 question list when I ask about these used Corvettes.

Finding 2000 models are hanging in the low 20s with less than 50k miles and well optioned..
HUD, dual air, dual power seats, etc.

Thanks for the confidence builder!
Rain

Rain,

I've been reading about your search for a C5. Most every car that I have looked at while searching for mine had the Z51 susp. I would take it over the Mag. suspension, only because of repair costs. Z51 is great and you won't have to replace your kidney's. I did have a '99 FRC and it had the Z51, but I had to have a Z06, and found a 2001 with only 3K miles. I was worried about ride with the FE4 susp., but it isn't bad at all. I traded for it and haven't had a more powerful car. Like somenone said, "it's crazy fast". I haven't had any problems with oil usage. I've read that this occurs more with enthusiasts' who think they have a "Cup car engine" and keep the revs way up. When you find a car you like, check for any codes that are stored, note them, clear them, and then drive the car for a while, and then check to see if any of the codes have shown back up. Good luck in your search.
cwmoss

Thanks for the reply -
Yes, its an exhaustive search. hahahaha
Had not really considered the cost of repair on the selective suspension option. The 2000 in Richmond, VA has the active handling button as well as the three way selector. F45- Selective Real Time Damping, Electronic adjustable shocks. Guess these cost an arm and a leg when they go bad?

Thats a question I had not thouht to ask (codes).
How do you check them in a C5 and how are they cleared.
Could probably rent a buddy's laptop and EASE. Or go ahead and pick up an ODBII handheld reader.

Appreciate your input
Rain

cwmoss said:
Rain,

I've been reading about your search for a C5. Most every car that I have looked at while searching for mine had the Z51 susp. I would take it over the Mag. suspension, only because of repair costs. Z51 is great and you won't have to replace your kidney's. I did have a '99 FRC and it had the Z51, but I had to have a Z06, and found a 2001 with only 3K miles. I was worried about ride with the FE4 susp., but it isn't bad at all. I traded for it and haven't had a more powerful car. Like somenone said, "it's crazy fast". I haven't had any problems with oil usage. I've read that this occurs more with enthusiasts' who think they have a "Cup car engine" and keep the revs way up. When you find a car you like, check for any codes that are stored, note them, clear them, and then drive the car for a while, and then check to see if any of the codes have shown back up. Good luck in your search.
cwmoss

Hi Rain -

It boils down to money - whatcha want to spend?

IMO, a anything 99 an newer would be fine. the newest cars will have "refinements", but you will pay a big premium.

I just bought my wife a 99 coupe (1SC package car - every option + dual roofs) for $23k. It had 28k miles on it.

A friend just bought an 01. He paid $30k. It is a 1SA car - not many options.

I personally don't see the "refinements" and the second gen active handling being worth the $7 large.

I tried to counsel my friend, but in the end, he was thinking he had to spend the whole $30k.

What do you think you'll change when you get one? Exhaust? Intake? Wheels? If this is the case, then a lot of the "refinements" will be in the take-off pile.

Just my humble opinion.

Here are a couple of shots of the wifes coupe since you asked (you did, didn't you? LOL)

I almost immediately removed the wagon-wheel/runcrap combo and installed the "left-overs" from my Z06.
Then I slammed it.
coupe_lowered_600x.jpg

Then I had the mufflers cut off and I bought two Hedman twin-outlet resonators for the tips.
new_pipes_1.jpg

It has really given the car some character...:L

best regards-

mqqn

Rain said:
Thanks for the reply -
Yes, its an exhaustive search. hahahaha
Had not really considered the cost of repair on the selective suspension option. The 2000 in Richmond, VA has the active handling button as well as the three way selector. F45- Selective Real Time Damping, Electronic adjustable shocks. Guess these cost an arm and a leg when they go bad?

Thats a question I had not thouht to ask (codes).
How do you check them in a C5 and how are they cleared.
Could probably rent a buddy's laptop and EASE. Or go ahead and pick up an ODBII handheld reader.

Appreciate your input
Rain
Hi Rain -

You can get the codes through the Drivers Information Center (DIC) on the odometer panel.

If you find one that you are interested in, go to your chevy dealer and ask the service manager to run the service history on the car. They will be able to tell you a lot about the car. Trust me. I knew a lot about our 99 before I bought it.

My friend (referenced above) did not take this advice from me, and his car later turned out to have been wrecked. Carfax did not tell him this...

Good advice is only hot air if you don't listen and heed. :beer

Also, first thing I do is lay down and look at the rocker panels. about 1/2 the c5's I see on dealer lots have bungered-up rockers from improper lifting.

best regards-

mqqn

Piston-slap happened around 2001-2, try to get into a 3 or 2004 car.

The deals are out there.

Let us know what you did.
Cheers!
Bill.

Hey Mqqn, finally someone that knows what to do to a Vette. Nice job bro. I recently tore my wifes ride up for her too. All Vettes should be piped and lowered.

Pac-man said:
Hey Mqqn, finally someone that knows what to do to a Vette. Nice job bro. I recently tore my wifes ride up for her too. All Vettes should be piped and lowered.
Hi Pac-man -

Thanks buddy - one other thing that must be done to a vette - DRIVE IT!!!

We have put 2k miles on it in 6 weeks...just tooling around town.

I lowered my Z this summer, and I have done five C5's since then - when others see ours, they must have theirs lowered too!

best regards -

mqqn

2001 Owner

Rain,

Bought my 01 new with every option and it presently has 15K on it. Absolutely no problems. Only issue was the recall for steering wheel lock up - which never happen to me. Other than that just oil an filter changes.

Remo:cool

The Tide will change!

Rain

Keep in mind that by the middle of Feb the price's of C5's will start rising once again because it's that time of the year again. We are talking about $4-5000 wholesale at the peak.

In the wholesale market there are very few C5's around (nice ones) because they are being held back until Feb to get a better price.

Don't be fooled by the large number of C5's on the market today (private), dealers do not want them unless they can steal them.

If you are going to take the plunge do it. Finding the perfect car is not going to happen even if you find a new one.

Right now it's mental masterbation. Look for a vette that you like and then after driving it for a while make all of the modifications that wll make you grin.

Good Luck

Alan

Hi there Rain!!!
I too am searching for a C5. Not too hard right now with the holidays right around the corner, but starting Dec. 26, the hunt is seriously on!! Anyway, I'm lookig for an '01 or newer. Whatever I can afford in that range. The simple reason for me (maybe silly to others) is from '01 to '04 the HP jumped from 345 to 350. It's that simple for me. That, it has to be a vert and whatever I can afford. I have learned so far you can drive yourself crazy looking for the perfect vette. I want to get one in great condition and make it perfect.

Good luck in your search and I look forward to you keeping us updated about it!!

Chris

The 5hp jump on the 01 should not be considered when buying a C5. Not all cars dyno the same. You could have a strong 99 dyno at 355hp, or a week 01 dyno at 348hp. 5hp is nothing. Plus, you can grab 20hp with some quick bolt on mods. If your really that interested in hp #'s, there are plenty of 500hp cars out there. 5hp is truly insignificant. 99 was a great year by the way. Got voted best engineered car of the 20th century. The link to that article is actually on this site.

Of course I have been looking for a few weeks with no test drives. Never driven a C5.
So a buddy of mine brought his 03 50th anniv. over yesterday and we traded for a while.
I finally have some complete understanding of the differences in the C4 and C5 where before it was only testimonials and reading of specs.

I still have a offer in on the 2000 in VA and have come across a black 2000 in New Orleans(70k miles though). The one I think we like the most is an 01 in Brownsville, TX with 22k miles.

All of these are 25grand and below. That an EXCELLENT price for loaded C5s?

Thanks again everyone,
Rain

Pac-man said:
You could have a strong 99 dyno at 355hp, or a week 01 dyno at 348hp. 5hp is nothing. Plus, you can grab 20hp with some quick bolt on mods.
There ya go!!! Again I learned something new from this site!!!!!

Something as simple as the explanation above, I would have not considered. Until now.

Thanks Guys!!!

Fair Price??

Hi Rain

The 01 with 22,000 miles would be my choice as long as the price is under $25,000. This 01 has to be checked out plus carfax etc,etc.

My first question would be if he is the orig owner and is the GM warranty still running. The reason is for a small fee it can be moved into your name and then try to get a deal with GM for an extended warranty.

Wholesale on the 01 coupe is around 22/$23,000 today at best.

If the vette is in the condition you like and the color is your favorite, then l would pursue it.

But keep in mind to travel to see this Texas vette and having it checked out has to be well thought out.

I have been bummed out too often to travel more then 2 hours to see a vette.

Alan

Hi Guys -

Carfax is not worth the paper it is printed on. Period. Get a GM service manager to run a service history on the car. Done deal, and free.

The HP numbers posted above must be for flywheel, as most I have seen are high 290's and low 300's stock. My '02 Z06 put 356 to the wheels bone stock.

The variance is enough that the 5 hp difference in the older ls1 is nearly smoothed out, which was the point of the above post I suspect.

best regards -

mqqn

Pac-man said:
The 5hp jump on the 01 should not be considered when buying a C5. Not all cars dyno the same. You could have a strong 99 dyno at 355hp, or a week 01 dyno at 348hp. 5hp is nothing. Plus, you can grab 20hp with some quick bolt on mods. If your really that interested in hp #'s, there are plenty of 500hp cars out there. 5hp is truly insignificant. 99 was a great year by the way. Got voted best engineered car of the 20th century. The link to that article is actually on this site.
Agreed, the 5 hp is pretty insignificant. The power improvement that should be considered is the available of more torque earlier as stated in the article above. You will most certainly feel that versus feeling the extra 5hp.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom